HAIR! NOT THE MUSICAL

Joined Jul 30, 2007
not to poke the bear, but has anyone read 'fast food nation'?...i'll take a little hair of any sort compared to that....its not just restaurants that are the offenders...grocery store delis and salad bars are huge....would you like some hair with that potato salad, miss? when i look at the trade mags though, i notice that no one in the kitchen is wearing any kind of head protection any more and they usually have a towel thrown over one shoulder.....near to their head hair, beard and neck....maybe its not a cool look to wear facial protectors or hats, but aren't there health code  regulations anymore?...bdl, you know i was just funnin, right?...feel the love!!

joey

Joined Feb 13, 2008
Durangojo,

Are there no prisons?  No workhouses?

Facial protectors indeed.  I've never even had a facial.

BDL

Last edited:
Joined Mar 9, 2010
Kawartha Lakes girls....My Sib ......always lookin for a fish!

Gotta love that wet dog smell.....

Last edited:
Joined Aug 21, 2009
Meet Keisha... she's our lovely Siberian who sheds like mad, especially in the spring!!  I swear there is enough fur on her for two dogs!

Joined Aug 21, 2009
Where I work we were hairnets and hats but I have worked at and seen other kitchens where as long as long hair is restrained apparently that's acceptable. 

Joined Feb 26, 2007
Lovely Pets /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

What about things other than hair which you;ve found in your food?

I found a metal screw in one meal - yes they comped it, but it could kill a person.

Joined Oct 23, 2008
Since we all seem to enjoy hair in our thread.. here's Maximus. I think there may be something wrong with my cat though. He was always a little slower than the other kittens.

Joined Aug 21, 2009
It didn't go out to a customer but I have found a ladybug in our frzen raspberries and a frozen worm in a portion of our frozen blueberries.  Thank goodness I caught that before it went out!

Joined Aug 13, 2006
A live snail on a pizza with rughetta!  Sent it back but worried about tapeworm anyway. 

a friend found a live cockroach in the piece of parmigiano she bought at the local little grocery store.  The guy offered to give her another piece!!!

Once i didn;t have any skewers to close up the opening of the turkey and keep the stuffing inside so i used safety pins.  I didn;t notice one when i removed them and someone got a safety pin in his turkey!

Joined Jul 30, 2007
a friend got a tuna sandwich from one of those food/drink carts at the golf course and bit down into a bandaid......white man's blues? just one more reason why i don't play golf! we find worms all the time in our organic spring mix, but am sure we don't find all of them...i'd rather eat an organic worm that belongs there, than a spider that doesn't!!!! 

joey

Joined Feb 26, 2007
Ewww those are gruesome.  I guess it's better than finding half a worm etc in your food that you've just bitten into ....

Joined Aug 13, 2006
Ewww those are gruesome.  I guess it's better than finding half a worm etc in your food that you've just bitten into ....
I did find that, DC, in the proverbial apple.  But to my surprise, i was not grossed out.  I don;t know why.  Ten years ago I'd have been freaking out. 

Joined Aug 21, 2009
We had a customer totally freak out on Saturday when a fly passed her table (didn't land on anything just flew by)  and to be honest if it was me I would have been bothered but I wouldn't have carried on and walked out without paying after my family and I ate our meals.   That was what she did.. we remade everything and when it was time to take it to them they were all gone.  They left emply plates and did not pay a cent. 

I have been on the smokers to stop propping the back door open as insects get in, and even bees come in and I am petrified of bees.  When the owner brought the fly issue to the KM and I I told him straight up who the offenders are for leaving the back door wide open and to take it up with them.  I don't even like having the front door propped open but customers do that on weekends when we are lined up and there isn't much we can do about that.  We can ask them to keep it closed while they wait but sometimes they don't and that's why we have a bug lamp at each end of the kitchen. 

Joined Aug 13, 2006
We had a customer totally freak out on Saturday when a fly passed her table (didn't land on anything just flew by)  and to be honest if it was me I would have been bothered but I wouldn't have carried on and walked out without paying after my family and I ate our meals.   That was what she did.. we remade everything and when it was time to take it to them they were all gone.  They left emply plates and did not pay a cent. 

I have been on the smokers to stop propping the back door open as insects get in, and even bees come in and I am petrified of bees.  When the owner brought the fly issue to the KM and I I told him straight up who the offenders are for leaving the back door wide open and to take it up with them.  I don't even like having the front door propped open but customers do that on weekends when we are lined up and there isn't much we can do about that.  We can ask them to keep it closed while they wait but sometimes they don't and that's why we have a bug lamp at each end of the kitchen. 
Some people seem to need to make a scene to show how important they are.  What jerks.  A fly in your food, ok, but a fly flying by? come on. It happens, there are doors, doors have to open for customers to come in, flies smell food and fly in with them.  Sure, smokers shouldn't be holding the doors open, but some flies are inevitable. 

Last edited:
Joined Aug 21, 2009
Siduri this one was a jerk.  I saw them walk in and all of them had attitude going on so it didn't surprise me that they'd pull that.  I am a very good judge when it comes to people and how they carry themeselves so I did suspect trouble with them.  But you're so right.. flies happen... if we were to never open our doors then maybe we'd see no flies.

The smokers make me crazy.. they prop the back door open when NO ONE is due to come in and why.. so they can get out for a puff without being noticed.  My kitchen is 99% non smokers and it is the weekday dishwasher and some servers who are the culprits with the door propping.  The two smokers I have don't smoke at work so I know it is not them keeping the door open. 

Joined Oct 10, 2005
Jerks?

No, that's outright "dine 'n dash" or, to put into legal terms, "theft".  Owner should have called the cops and reported it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom