HAIR! NOT THE MUSICAL

Joined Oct 23, 2008
Your cat kisses? Mine won't look me in the face if my face is close. I think it's some kind of lion thing.

Joined Aug 13, 2006
I expect good sanitation from any person who invites me to dinner, if I found a cat hair on my plate I would be pissed. Animals have their place, its not on my plate............We have 3 cats, two dogs, two cows, 12 pigs, 18 chickens and no %%%%%%%%%%%%%%% of mice sh-t is ok in my kitchen GGGEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ChefBillyB...P.S. ..................... when you guys kiss your cats, remember the last place they just licked clean, hows that for the old taste buds.
The vermin parts and droppings is not in my kitchen eitehr, but apparently in some laws on food suppliers.  Take it up with the government. 

In the case of cats, I haven't found cat hair, either, in my food at home, but it could happen, with wind and shedding cats, as it can happen that a hair drops inadvertently from my shirt, since i seem to be losing it. 

The FDA's defect action levels make interesting reading.  Here's one example that involves the tolerance level for rodent hairs and excreta fragments in cornmeal. 
[table][tr][td]CORNMEAL[/td][td]Insects
(AOAC 981.19)[/td][td]Average of 1 or more whole insects (or equivalent) per 50 grams[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]Insect filth
(AOAC 981.19)[/td][td]Average of 25 or more insect fragments per 25 grams[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]Rodent filth
(AOAC 981.19)[/td][td]Average of 1 or more rodent hairs per 25 grams
OR
Average of 1 or more rodent excreta fragment per 50 grams[/td][/tr][/table]
Corn muffins anyone?

I took the above from this site. 

http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceCom...danceDocuments/Sanitation/ucm056174.htm#intro

I'm not saying this to discourage eating cornmeal or to lower the tolerance levels, because the only way to do that would be to put even more dangerous poisons into our food, the tolerance levels of which are already too high, but to say that food is full of stuff we wouldn;t like to know about, and the only difference between a cat hair that has blown into a dish and a rodent dropping that is allowed into the flour the dish is made of is we don;t see the second. Oh, yes, and we know the cat and we don;t know the rodent.   And it;s not just stuff you cook that has tolerances - sesame seeds even allow a certain (albeit minuscule amount) of human excreta, just to give the first one i came across.  .

I just remove a hair if i see one and imagine the person's hands who touched my food have probably been in contact with a lot more things than their hair. 

Joined Mar 9, 2010
Yup,

there are deeper issues at hand......hold on to your hats , everyone!

70-80% of household dust is human skin!

A typical mattress can have 100,000 to 10 million dust mites inside feeding on the 6 grams average of dead human skin a week.

Mites produce 10 -20 waste pellets per day. Females reproduce 25-30 mites per week ( just one )

Now ....what were we talking about

I am editing this because .....I hate hair in my food and I am squeemish ....human ,canine, feline.,horse...well lets just include some fish scales and some bird feathers while were at it..whatever...it just does not belong on the plate!

Last edited:
Joined Jul 30, 2007
should we even mention what's in your dried spices? for that reason alone, i think your spices have to come from a small company,your own herbs, a health food store or a really reputable company, like penzeys,...definately not mccormicks...think i remember reading they were the worse offenders...actually, this is what really pisses me off about the big box stores, specifically walmart...they offer lower prices, but inferior products...cheap prices equals or usually equals inferior products....we are killing the masses with our cheapness!!! anyone remember the movie 'soylent green" and the line where charlton heston screams, " WE'RE EATING THE PEOPLE"...wow, don't know how i got to there, but i did...good day all...

joey

Joined Apr 3, 2010
In this day and age feel lucky that the only thing you find is a hair. Better then e-coli or salmonella or other bacteria that you can't see.

Joined May 20, 2009
Siduri...thanks for the reality check!

I feel this issue is more about what we 'know' & how we 'feel' about that than any real  health risk...we have, after all, always shared this planet and that includes the real-estate inside of us.

In this world past and   present its a priviledge to have the option to reject food (or even food to reject)...its not guaranteed.

Hmmmn....does an oyster on your plate hope you brushed your teeth before dinner? /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Joined Feb 26, 2007
All of this reminds me of the old story about making elephant stew. The ingredients list was something like:

1 elephant

1 bushel Spanish onions

200 pounds carrots

500 pounds potatoes

etc.

etc.

etc.

2 rabbits (optional)

salt and pepper to taste

The recipe goes on to tell you how to prep the elephant, and cook the whole thing. The rabbits are optional because......most people don't like hare in their food.
Droll -very droll. Ha! I enjoyed that to be true  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif

But I'll leave the prepping of the elephant to others...

P.S.  Edit because I forgot to comment on thread - I may be weird, but will tolerate a hair in food if I'm at home and *preferably a human hair rather than animal.  Either way, they just pulled out and the meal continued.

But, if it is at a restaurant, it gives a different emotion.  Standards differ between home and businesses. But the human race has survived.  At home it is people/animals you know, but eating out is emotionally a totally different world,  A person is paying for a plate of food and not for the hair of the cook.

Last edited:
Joined Nov 5, 2009
I wear a scrunchie when I cook. I also wear an apron-not to protect my clothes but to keep the food sanitary and free of hair (I have 2 pugs)

Last edited:
Joined Feb 8, 2009
Lets all have Thanksgiving dinner in my pasture, warm your feet with the cow pies, pick our teeth with the chicken feathers. The smell of the pigs will just be a added perfume to the dinner. If cat hair is OK for the dinner guests, why leave out the rest of the farm animals. I hope the pheasant comes by, it will make a nice center piece for the table.

Joined Aug 13, 2006
Lets all have Thanksgiving dinner in my pasture, warm your feet with the cow pies, pick our teeth with the chicken feathers. The smell of the pigs will just be a added perfume to the dinner. If cat hair is OK for the dinner guests, why leave out the rest of the farm animals. I hope the pheasant comes by, it will make a nice center piece for the table.
ok, just don;t use that FDA approved cornmeal!

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
I have to say that I am pretty much in line with all of you. If I find hair in my food at home I am ok with that. If I find hair in food at an establishment I am paying for no way that is just disgusting. I also don't think it is an "opportune time" to ask for a discount. I think it is an opportune time to ask for a puke bag. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

But to answer the original question, I would rather eat human hair than dog hair. My dog rolls in everything and never showers even though we ask her to over and over and over.  

Joined Mar 9, 2010
Beautifull Pup Nicko!

I'm going to take a guess....Border Collie , Lab  Mix ...could there be some Dalmation?

Joined Feb 13, 2008
The scrunchy thing has me biting my tongue bloody.  You guys are very lucky I still have a scintilla of self control.

Meet George.

Never fry bacon nude,

BDL

Last edited:
Joined Oct 23, 2008
Nicko your dog is normally all white .. am I reading that correctly? /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

Joined Feb 26, 2007
Hello George,

I hope BDL doesn't make you fry bacon in the nude wearing a scrunchy.....heh.  Nuts, as is said in Peanuts,   by Charles Schulz.

What a beautiful dog.  I'm sure he's a great pal.  And with that shnozz can smell bacon a mile away /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rollsmile.gif

DC

Joined Jul 30, 2007
if its true what they say about dogs and owners looking alike, someone on this post is in alot of trouble!!!

peace, 

joey & ms. greta

Last edited:

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
Our dog "Suka" is an English Pointer and she was born will all the beautiful black spots. One of kind sweetheart.

Top Bottom