HAIR! NOT THE MUSICAL

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by durangojo, Aug 28, 2010.

1. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    when someone finds a dog hair in their food, they generally just pick it out, dismiss it and continue eating. when someone finds a human hair in their food, they practically have a psychotic episode and don't/ can't or won't continue eating. now, my dog rolls in everything that smells and excites...bear poop, horse poop, coyote poop...whatever...last time i looked, i didn't notice any humans doing this and most of the ones i know shower regularly...just a funny thought i had...what gives?

joey

p.s. we're not talking professional kitchens or restaurants here 

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  2. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Must be the perfumes in the shampoo. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

3. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    I've often wondered the same thing.  Sort of like swallowing your saliva normally, as opposed to spitting in a glass and then drinking your own saliva a second later.  Or dog poop  vs human poop on the street.  Maybe humans carry the same parasites and are subject to the same diseases more than to those of animals?  apparently disgust at rotten things and worms is predisposed genetically and helps us not get poisoned. 

In any case, disgust triggers are like fear triggers, they aren;t necessarily related to things that are actually dangerous, but have evolved because these things tend to be dangerous - like fear of the dark or loud noises. 

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Sorry 

I don't like dog hair, or cat hair, or frog fur in my food any more than human hair.

Put a hat on

5. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    sweater that dog!

6. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I'm not a fan of hair in my food either, and especially not dog hair.  I know what my dog rolls in when she's out and about and well I don't want that on my dinner plate. 

7. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Owning a cat = hair in the food occasionally. It happens, I just pick it out.

8. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I think in general people are wussies.

9. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Uhh....  Just taking a couple of stabs in the dark here.....

Being a guy, for some reason, all of my life I have been "responsible" for un-plugging sink drains, tub drains, etc.  First as a kid, now as a Dad and a cafe owner.  Nothing more revolting than fishing out wads of soapy hair.

Professionly speaking, finding a hair in your food at a restaurant is the oportune time to ask for discounts, free replacements, or some other form of "reward"  Just think back to all those old "Seinfeld" episodes....

10. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Foodpump.. I'm a girl and i seem to end up doing the gross chores and well I just do it.. yeah it grosses me out but well.. I cloth diapered when my kids were babies and OTHING is grosser than baby poo on flannel.. well at least for me anywayl   Ewww ... nice flashback.  And well I made my kids cloth diapers...  They were super expensive and we were poor and I knew how to sew so ... I made their diapers...

At home my dog grosses me out.. she rolls in goose poo laden fields and she chases everything that runs.. bless her she's a siberian husky with an overactive prey drive. 

11. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    Ok all this, but the question is, and it may not be your case, and it's not mine, but people will complain MORE about HUMAN hair than DOG hair, and Durangojo wanted to know why. 

It's not about reasoning here, being grossed out is not usually rational even though we can come up with some explanation after the fact. But what comes to mind when you get someone else's hair in your food.

Any ideas, esp from those who are more grossed out by human hair? 

12. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    All of this reminds me of the old story about making elephant stew. The ingredients list was something like:

1 elephant

1 bushel Spanish onions

200 pounds carrots

500 pounds potatoes

etc.

etc.

etc.

2 rabbits (optional)

salt and pepper to taste

The recipe goes on to tell you how to prep the elephant, and cook the whole thing. The rabbits are optional because......most people don't like hare in their food.

13. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    if there is Cat hair in the food it's a persons fault, if there is human hair in the food it's the persons fault. If anyone thinks either one of these is acceptable, let us know so we don't stop over your house for Christmas dinner....................ChefBillyB

14. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    You obviously don't have a cat for a pet. Their hair literally floats and my cat shed constantly. I would have to vacuum 24 hours a day to keep the house cat hair free.

15. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    wear a hat in the house? or someone else's house? all the time? what about facial hair? beard, mustache, eyebrow (and that's just the women!), are those okay, but head hair not? do we have to live and eat in a hasmat suit?...

kyh...vey funny...

joey

16. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    i will take any advice on getting a sweater on a 80 lb german shepherd!

joey

17. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    We can accept that from a professional chef in a professional kitchen - however in the home kitchen?  You can say throw out your pets and shave your head, or expect the home cook to wrap their hair in hairnets and change their clothes before cooking.  Not very realistic.  The sterile kitchen is a bit too obsessive. 

Anyway, maybe someone with some knowledge about laws on food safety at the industrial level can say for sure, but i remember reading that there is a certain amount of vermin traces including droppings allowed per kilo of flour and other foodstuffs we buy. 

Anyway, no one has ever refused my dinner invitations, despite my cats and my haphazard housekeeping skills.  I often get people crashing my christmas party!

18. bubbamom

bubbamom

Exp:
    Home Cook
    ewwwww - - I don't eat hair - mine, yours, the dogs, cats, rats..... it gags me.  come to think of it, i can't eat alfalfa sprouts either!

19. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Acceptable? Probably. Desired, no. I think the distinction was made from restaurant to home, and in a restaurant I do find it less acceptable. Would I let a cat hair ruin a great dish I just made, hell no! I'd pull it off and get down to eating! I probably inhale more hair from my cat than I realize. That being said, I keep kitchen sanity pretty high on my list and I've never had a cat hair in my food.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  20. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I expect good sanitation from any person who invites me to dinner, if I found a cat hair on my plate I would be pissed. Animals have their place, its not on my plate............We have 3 cats, two dogs, two cows, 12 pigs, 18 chickens and no %%%%%%%%%%%%%%% of mice sh-t is ok in my kitchen GGGEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ChefBillyB...P.S. ..................... when you guys kiss your cats, remember the last place they just licked clean, hows that for the old taste buds.