HACCP

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by lynne, Oct 28, 2000.

1. lynne

lynne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    HACCP-How many of you implement this program? I know a lot of the big food service companies were starting to -- how do you like it? Does it end up being a ton of paper work everyone forgets or does the team get into it and follow procedure?

Thanks,

2. chef david simpson

chef david simpson

At a catering standpoint, I can tell you it works wonders for off and on sight catering.
    I monitor all HACCP process cycles. From truck to table, I make sure that all food is safe through and through by observing the cooks health, use of gloves and utensils, handwashing techniques, time and temperature abuse, santitizing everything befor and after use.inspecting and storing all foodstuff the minute it arives. All buffet tables have a time and temperature check list. As well as the food dollies. Anyone not following procedures are given one warning and must pass a sanitation and safety test.

3. youla

youla

we follow the haccp program here in melbourne, australia...we are the first state to instigate it a year ago and follow all hygiene and safety procedures as well as sample taking, temperature taking and as with buffets food temperature is taken regularly and after an hour is replaced [if it hasnt been before that time]...we had a few surprises..found out that none of our fridges or walk ins were up to scratch temperature wise even though the temperature on the fridge said otherwise also we sent back a whole lot of thermometers...we put them all into the same glass of chilled water and they all had a different temperature!!IT started out being extra work but now you dont notice it...also the waiting staff, stewards and storepeople do the same training course which is a big help. the best thing it does is that peopple start to think before they do things...such as I need gloves or a different board..or clean down straight away, simple ,commonsense but having a program like haccp really reinforces procedures.

[This message has been edited by youla (edited 11-07-2000).]

4. lynne

lynne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Great! I knew someone out there had to be following HACCP; I know Sodexho Marriot was about to implement it a couple of years ago. I've always wondered if it didn't get to be the hassle once you got used to it. Did you have a hard time getting everyone to use the methods?

Thanks for the info-

5. unichef

unichef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    We've been doing it at Disney for about 4 years and worked with the state to develop the standards which become law next year.

It's like anything else- at first it's a struggle, then it becomes second nature.

More info on HACCP at http://www.unichef.com/foodsafety.htm

6. lynne

lynne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Thanks for your response. Good info on the site. I just referred someone to it earlier today that wanted a quick rundown on HACCP.

They thought it was well presented