Habanero Peppers

Joined Nov 17, 2000
I looked at my pepper plants and, believe it or not, I have a few that are actually bearing! My questions are: How long before I should pick them? They are green right now. Do I wait until they turn colors? And, can I dry them? And, if I can, how?
This is the first time we've ever grown an edible thing except a few herbs. :p

Joined Oct 9, 2002
Wait until they turn orange (unless you have the insanely hot red variety).

As for drying...I haven't tried it, but I don't think it's possible. Mine never aged the same way as my cayenne or chili peppers.

Mine have just started setting the very tiniest of peppers. Nothing better than roasted habanero slices on pizza! Can't wait.

Joined Nov 17, 2000
Thanks! I don't know what variety these are--they were just the only pepper plants I found. And I know habanero peppers are really hot--but now I know when to pick 'em!
I wonder if I could freeze them? If I got as many peppers are there are little tiny ones, I could never use them all!

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
When I have way too many hot peppers I always can pepper sauce. I find it is the best way to keep them for use in the winter. You can make a couple different kinds, each of varying heat level that way you have some for a number of different occasions.

It is possible to dry habaneros, as I have bought them from stores before, though I have never done it myself. You could give it a try. Try hanging them like you do other peppers or try using a dehydrator. You could also try drying them over smoke. I have had dried, smoked habaneros before and they rock!!

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
I've seen and purchased dried habaneros before. They're still flavorful and mega hot. I don't know the particulars as I've never dried peppers. Same techniques as for other peppers ought to work.

Phil

Top Bottom