gungasim's Sauerbraten

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by gungasim, Mar 15, 2013.

1. gungasim

gungasim

Exp:
    At home cook
    Chuck Eye Roast marinaded in red wine vinegar, red wine, carrots, onions, juniper berries, black peppercorns, bay leaf, pickling spice, and cloves for about 4 1/2 days......

Remove the meat from the marinade, pat dry with paper towels, and then sear all sides in skillet.......

Strain the marinade, saving the liquid, and add it to a Dutch Oven with the beef. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a bare simmer for about 2 1/2-3 hours....

Remove the meat from the liquid, and then add 8-12 or more as needed ginger snaps that have been crushed to thicken the liquid into a gravy. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer, add the roast back in, cover, and simmer for another half hour or so.

Slice across the grain, serve with the gravy, potato or bread dumplings, and braised red cabbage.........

2. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    This here Bavarian approves!

3. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    That sounds amazing! I've never heard of that dish, but now I want to try it. Any way you could post or link to the complete recipe? Thanks!

4. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    When I first moved to Salt Lake I was renting a house from a German immigrant.  My roommate and I would usually be invited to their house for sunday dinner.  Sauerbraten was served at least twice a month.  Very tasty.

mjb.

5. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I can offer the recipe my mother uses - roughly. It's more frankonian style, though.

1. Make a marinade of white wine vinegar mixed 1 to 3 with water, season with bay leaves (about 10), juniper berries (about 20), cloves (about 5) and add a mirepoix and chopped parsley root.

2. Let the beef rest in the marinade for at least two days, up to a week

3. Pat the meat dry, brown it at high heat together with bacon and mirepoix.

4. Deglaze with the strained marinade and red wine

5. Season with thyme, cloves, bay leave, pepper, juniper berries and salt

6. Roast at low temp - 110-120°C for ca. 4 hours

7. In the last hour of roasting, add raisins and sour cream to the reduced sauce.

8. Serve with red cabbage and dumplings - preferably bread dumplings.

6. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Great - thanks a lot Gene Machine. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

7. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Great, I really have to give it a try now. Never had bread dumplings in my life! :)

8. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Then I feel compelled to add another recipe:

Bread dumplings:

Take 6 bread rolls - they have to be a bit old but not completely dried out, cut into cubes, add 250 ml of warm milk and some onion and parsley quickly sauteed but not browned in butter. Knead to form a dough, let rest for 20 min. Salt and pepper to taste. Form dumplings, drop into hot water, simmer for 20 min.

For added effect, substitute pretzels for the bread rolls - large, fluffy pretzels, not the completely dried and crispy stuff. Bavarian style.

9. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Gene, this may be an American addition but I always like to add come cooked, chopped bacon to my bread dumplings for an added flavor boost.

10. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Not American at all, Pete - in that direction, the Tyrolean "Speckknödel" lies. And yes, it is a fine thing.

11. dutch oven

dutch oven

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Gunga you should feel vindicated

12. thesoupnazi

thesoupnazi

Exp:
    At home cook
    Gunga, your prowess is spreading throughout the ranks.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  13. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Awesome, thank you so much, Gene. I will try that soon. Question: can the dumplings be prepared in advanced? Are they served cold, like bread would be? Or hot, right out of the simmering water? Can you undercook them slightly and drop them in boiling water for a couple minutes to reheat? 

Braised red cabbage I can manage, I've made it a few times. 

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  14. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    You serve them hot. As for preparation in advance - for bread dumplings, you can make the dough in advance and let it sit in the fridge, no problem. You should cook them in one go, though. Precooking and reheating does not help with the quality. If you want to make potato dumplings, those have to be made fresh or else they go brown. 

15. toxicant

toxicant

Exp:
    Beverage Expert
    My mother used to take the dumplings that had been cooked and sliced them into 3/8 inch slabs and fry them in butter on both sides until browned. Then serve them with the left over sauerbrauten. I think I liked the fried dumplings better then the fresh.

16. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Dumplings are great, but I always make kartoffelpuffer (potato pancakes) when we do sauerbraten.  They're also a traditional accompaniment. 

It's as heretical as all get out, but if you jaccard your meat before marinating you can really shortcut the process.  You can get thorough flavor penetration and tenderizing in as little as six hours, which allows starting on the morning of the "day of."  There's enough flexibility to start "night before,"  too.

The quick method lets us enjoy one of our favorite meals without cutting into our freedom to just say "the hell with it," and have a salad or go out for dinner.  I don't know about you, but since our kids are grown and out, our dinner time whims are too improvisatory to lock in ordinary, couple meals four or five days ahead. 

BDL

17. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Alright! My chuck is now marinating: 

@ Gene: 

• No salt until step #5, correct?

• By roasting... I'm assuming you mean braise in a covered pot with the liquid?

@ BDL:

• I've only asked a butcher to jaccard a chuck steak once, it was at Whole Paycheck and he ran the steak through the machine twice. At the end the steak was three times the size of the original steak, completely flattened and full of holes! :( I didn't think the texture was better than the chuck steak I grilled the week prior, which had not been jaccarded. So let's just say my first (and only) experience with jaccarding wasn't a good one. But then again I'm in no hurry so we'll eat this Thursday or Friday. 

18. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Looks great. And yes, no salt during the marinating. Also correct on the second point - that was a bit unclear on my part. Let us see how it turned out!

19. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thanks Gene, I will post updates!

20. gungasim

gungasim

Exp:
    At home cook
    looks great /img/vbsmilies/smilies/thumb.gif