gungasim's roast chicken

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by gungasim, Mar 20, 2013.

1. gungasim

gungasim

Exp:
    At home cook
    First up, two heads of garlic to be roasted for the garlic mashed potatoes....cut off the shoot end, drizzle with olive oil and salt....

About an hour in the oven at 350......

The stuff to stuff the chicken with......garlic cloves, onions, celery, an apple, bay leaf, poultry seasoning, salt, pepper, garlic powder, dried sage from the garden and a few tabs of butter....\

The chicken in the brine. That was about a gallon of water, half a cup of kosher salt, a can of apple juice concentrate (thawed), pickling spice, allspice, sage, poultry seasoning, some crushed peppercorns, some crushed juniper berries. Chicken was brined for about 24 hours.....

Some tabs of butter and some sliced fresh garlic to be placed under the skin of the bird......there were also some fresh sage leaves from the garden that went in there too, not shown....

The bird after that stuff went under the skin....

Stand it arse end up on a V-rack in a roasting pan. Sprinkle the inside with salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, dried sage, garlic powder, and then start layer in the veggie stuffing...

A tab of butter and some more seasoning after each layer, and then it is full.

Truss it up

Goes into a preheated 425 oven breast side up for 15 minutes. It is then turned on one side for another 15 minutes. Then it is turned on the other side, basted with butter, and roasted for 15 minutes at 425. Then turn down the oven to 325, leaving the bird on the second side for about 30 minutes. After 25 minutes, baste the second side with more butter, sprinkle on some salt and garlic powder.

Meanwhile, stuff for the gravy.....onions, mushrooms, garlic, the livers from the bird. That gets sautéed in some butter and olive oil until the livers and mushrooms are browned, then add some chicken stock made from the rest of the giblets...

And some peeled and chunked white potatoes for the mashed potatoes, ready to be boiled until fork tender....they then get drained, mashed with the roasted garlic and a touch of butter and milk, salt and pepper.

The top side of the bird after 30 minutes at 325. It gets flipped over to the other side, basted, and sprinkled with salt and garlic powder, and allowed to roast another 30 minutes or so.....

After 30 minutes, turn the bird breast side up, baste, and sprinkle with salt and garlic powder.....another 15-20 minutes or until ya get 160-165 in the leg thigh. Pull it and let it rest under foil for 20 minutes.....

Carve and serve with the potatoes and gravy.

2. dutch oven

dutch oven

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    It all looks good except the cutting board and the pan

3. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    That looks so tasty! Thanks for sharing.

4. tomago

tomago

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    My uncle Ned used to say arse LOL. I never cooked anything with juniper berries, what kind of taste do they impart? And are you getting them from your own bush or in a store?

5. gungasim

gungasim

Exp:
    At home cook
    my grandpa Dagbjart was part scandinavian so he always used Junipers,as a child i worked with him making traditional scandinavian grave blankets and wreaths

6. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    gung, nice job, looks great............

7. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    I pick juniper berries on bushes when I'm in France. To me they are synonymous with Sauerkraut. The juniper berry bushes are often intertwined with wild blueberry bushes, and IMO their taste actually has many common notes. Of course wild blueberries are a far cry from the blueberries you can get in a supermarket or even a farmer's market...

8. dutch oven

dutch oven

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    you made grave blankets out of juniper?

9. thesoupnazi

thesoupnazi

Exp:
    At home cook
    Absolutely splendid, Gunga. May I call you Gunga? I don't want to disrespect as I'm unaware of your origin. Based on your exquisite dishes, I'd say you are a mutt as you have a grasp of all International cuisine. One thing I'd recommend looking into, and please, this is not an insult, but you REALLY need to look into the wonderful flavorings offered by Natural Harvest. Thx bai.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2013
  10. tomago

tomago

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I'm sorry for asking but why would you shove a whole apple in there with the skin? Wouldn't the flavors be better imparted with it being diced?

11. thesoupnazi

thesoupnazi

Exp:
    At home cook
    Mr Tomato:

Please don't question the master. Thx

12. elsaesser

elsaesser

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Beautiful presentation, but if you are pressed for time : from room temp chicken (or two) to oven in under 15 minutes :

1.              heat oven to 400F

2.              put in mixing bowl

•                1/2 lemon, halved

•                1/2 apple, halved

•                1 stick celery (greener is better)

•                1 shallot, halved

•                1/2 cup bitter OJ (e.g. Goya)

•                dried sage

•                pepper

•                salt

3.              mix well

4.              put chicken on rotisserie spit and fill

5.              skewer openings shut

6.              slide thin slices of pesto under skin

7.              and/or rub chicken with butter

8.              pepper & salt

9.              check average 4lb chicken after 50-55 minutes

*  à propos pesto : no nuts or cheese, though, it’s more like provençal pistou.  When basil is abundant, make a paste in the blender with olive oil, garlic and basil leaves, then freeze in ice cube trays and wrap individually in plastic wrap. Use all year round, sage works great, too.

** à propos juniper berries : simple Alsatian choucroute needs only juniper berries (many !), bay leaf, and a slug of duck fat.  Moisten with a glass of Riesling and arrange your (barded) pheasants over it in a fireproof bowl and roast until done.  Serve with fluffy celeriac/potato purée garnished with roasted scallion bits. 

13. elsaesser

elsaesser

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Oh, wait : brining chickens, turkeys, ducks, geese, pork -- yesss, whenever you can !!  Even the simplemost brine (1 gal cold water per 2/3 cup regular salt {+ a sprinkle of pink curing salt for pork only}) will make a huge difference.  A pork shoulder can stand 12-18 hours, a chicken 6.  Submerge.  Brining bags are good, a dedicated pail is better.  Reduce the salt in your stuffing/coating receipe.

14. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    To truss or not to truss. That is the question.

I'm not trussing. 

15. gungasim

gungasim

Exp:
    At home cook
    im a trusser /img/vbsmilies/smilies/thumb.gif

16. thesoupnazi

thesoupnazi

Exp:
    At home cook
    Gorgeous.

17. home plate

home plate

Exp:
    Home Chef
    You are indeed.  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

18. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    In God we truss.

I'm with Heston. An atheist of trussing.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  19. jake t bud

jake t bud

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Is there a reason why you didn't fold the wings under in the first series? Were they dry?

20. gungasim

gungasim

Exp:
    At home cook
    my wife likes the wings crunchy so i do it that way otherwise i have to hear it /img/vbsmilies/smilies/frown.gif