Gungas Golden Goodness

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by gungasim, Mar 26, 2013.

1. gungasim

gungasim

Exp:
    At home cook
    I decided to empty out the freezer, much of the space being taken up by saved stuff to make stock with. I ended up with about 10 pounds of various frozen chicken and turkey bones, necks, wing tips, and stuff that was saved over the past few months. That all went in a huge pot with about 3 gallons of spring water, along with various veggie scraps, and simmered for a few hours.

After getting all the spent bones out of it and in the trash , and then straining the broth thru a sieve, I was left with about 10 quarts of this:

That was parked in the fridge overnight so that the fat would separate, and in the  morning, it looked like this:

Spooned off all the fat on top, and ended up with nearly a quart of schmaltz:

And this is what was left, which is on the stove simmering to reduce it to about 7-8 quarts

Later, that will be allowed to cool, then strained again thru a finer sieve, and stored in quart and pint containers in the freezer.........should be good for great chicken stock for the next few months...

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  2. thesoupnazi

thesoupnazi

Exp:
    At home cook
    My left artery just clogged and I think I died.  I think.

3. burnie

burnie

Exp:
    At home cook
    That is.............interesting? Looks like nothing goes to waste and you know how to maximize your ingredients.

4. tomago

tomago

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I'm curious what the freezer looked like before emptying. Do you save the fat for anything or just throw it away?

5. gungasim

gungasim

Exp:
    At home cook
    looks like this most of the time

6. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    You should be ashamed of yourself, wait, that looks like my freezer.................I just went out a few weeks ago and got Freezer number three, not including the freezer in my fridge. I had my Black Angus Steer processed, 26 day dry age hanging. We also processed two pigs and my wife shops at Costco. We have enough food to feed a small nation..........ChefBillyB

7. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Reminds me of that restaurant not far from here which proudly displays on their menu: 

- Lamb Curry

- Chicken Curry

- Fish Curry

- Child Curry

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif