Gumbo help - I dont know what I am Rouxing

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by taku, Jun 24, 2015.

1. taku

taku

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    First time making gumbo. Just need some advice. Ive been watching videos so I have the basics (more or less). I would say this is a two part question tied into one:

I'm a big fan of chipotle peppers, and I was thinking of adding them in for spice, though I think chipotle peppers work best with a tomato base. Only thing is, I was told not to add tomato in gumbo.

I would basically be replacing the water with tomato.

Let me know what you think. maybe just some cayenne powder would be enough spice.

thanks

2. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
  3. eolian

eolian

Exp:
    Home Chef
    I would make a traditional gumbo at first and after you have a few under your belt go for whatever. That dark roux done proper is tricky. One minute it`s fine and the next it`s trying to burn, you see them black specks you have to start over. I think my last one took 30-40 minutes.

I have talked to several gumbo makers in NOLA and they swear by the microwave shortcut. I just never could picture an old cajun granny standing over a hot stove for that long of a time because my mom was an oldtime country woman and she would say my story is coming on tv i aint stand`in here all day. lol

4. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I don't think I would use the microwave. Not sure it would brown. Many times I use the Ron Popeil method. Brown it a little in a pan and pop it in the oven. Set-It and Forget-it. hour and a half later beautiful chocolate roux. I garrunte!

5. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I've done the microwave method. Very fast and easy. Lots of thermal stress in the pyrex with this method and you'll find plenty of stories of spectacular and dangerous explosions and shattering. I can't recommend it.

I use my induction burner and can get dark roux pretty quickly with that.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  6. allanmcpherson

allanmcpherson

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I guess it is similar to the microwave, but I am huge fan of pressure cooking a dark roux.  Pressure cook a pomade of butter and flour (with a pinch of deactived baking soda, if you have it) in a sealed mason jar on a rack.  You can push it really far dark and I even after an hour I have never had a hint of burning.  Use small jars and you have several batches of a nice pantry item.

7. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    After a few times I found this to be my favorite way.  You brown the chicken so some of the fat renders.   Keep the fat in the pan to make the roux.  This way you have a chicken fat and (other) fat roux which is totally different from just a butter or oil roux.  To me this makes or breaks the gumbo.

If you're using this method it's pretty much a given that the roux has to be made in the pan.   I actually add a bit more chicken or duck fat I have in the fridge.

allanmcpherson likes this.
  8. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Shrimp & sausage gumbo from the other night. This roux was cooked for about 30 min. I used clam juice for the liquid, seasoned with thyme, garlic, worcestershire & crystal hot sauce. Oakra no file, I also like some tomato in my gumbo, added a small can of stewed tomatoes.