Guess the ingredients

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by brad arnold, Jun 23, 2012.

1. brad arnold

brad arnold

Exp:
    Other
    Best soup in the world.  This is chicken tortilla (obviously), can you guess the ingredients?  Hint: it is spicy

P.S. I don't know what's in it, but if there are some good guesses on how to make it, I will cook it and post the recipe again if it works!

[​IMG]

2. scubadoo97

scubadoo97

Exp:
    At home cook
    I don't do mine as a blended soup but would say outside of chk stock and chicken there would be onions, garlic, peppers both fresh and dried, tomatoes, lots cilantro and corn tortillas

I use a lot of cilantro which is cooked in the soup and looses a good part of the flavor and mellows and use a bit at the end for the bright flavor

3. brad arnold

brad arnold

Exp:
    Other
    Sounds good to me. Anyone else think different?  I will either make this tonight or tomorrow.  Feel free to throw in cooking technique tips if you have cooked soup like this before.

I'm guessing I can just blend up the ingredients and cook them.  Easy enough...

Thanks!

4. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Some things to consider adding:

cumin

oregano

worcestershire or maggi seasoning often makes an appearance too.

lime juice at the end

And I've never seen one smooth before either. Looks heavily thickened with tortilla. Hard to say if the lightness in the color comes from a white corn tortilla or if they used a yellower tortilla  and added crema.

5. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    A Tomato product??  This looks almost like a Tomato Bisque, or Pink Vodka Sauce.

6. mommyof4

mommyof4

Exp:
    At home cook
    For a spicy chicken tortilla soup try these ingredients garlic cumin Cheyenne pepper diced tomatoes franks red hot corn chicken chicken broth and beans and corn tortillas

brad arnold likes this.
  7. scubadoo97

scubadoo97

Exp:
    At home cook
    Forgot about the lime. A good squeeze of lime as a
    finishing acid touch is classic on Mexican soups.
    At a restaurant or in some ones home you will commonly see lime or "lemon" as it's called along with many dishes