Growing your own herbs

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by chefjess606, Mar 13, 2017.

1. chefjess606

chefjess606

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Alright Chefs! Does anyone grow their own herbs or veggies on site for their restaurant? We have a massive patio and they may just be enough room to sustain us for the season. My only concern is proving it is coming from a reputable source. Does anyone have any experience with this?

2. capecodchef

capecodchef

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    We have our own organic herb garden right next to the front entrance. And I'm not shy of picking fresh basil or mint while there's a line outside waiting for a table. You should see the looks of the customers as the sweet smells permeate the dining room as I make a slow trek back to the kitchen. Great image builder and, of course, great convenience to have fresh herbs at the ready. Never had to prove anything to the Health inspector.

3. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Shouldn't be an issue.  At least I've never had an issue with it.  Inspectors tend to be a lot less concerned about where fruits, vegetables and herbs come from than with meats and such.  I used to buy vegetables from the backs of trucks or from farmers that stopped by my places with great produce so having it grown right on-site shouldn't present a problem.