Growing saffron

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Last year I decided to dedicate a small patch of fertile soil to a culinary experiment. I grow vegetables, fruit, and herbs. But growing saffron sounded interesting, challenging, and consistent with our Mediterranean climate.

Twenty saffron crocus bulbs were planted nearly at the end of the recommended sowing period. All germinated; about 4 flowered. This year they came up showing signs of bulb multiplication. Probably 6:1. Of the original 20, I estimate that 20% didn’t survive. But with bulb multiplication I’m ahead and gaining. So far this year harvested 18 blossoms. Three strands of saffron each. More to come I’m hoping!

This morning’s harvest...

EEADDF0B-D138-4F7F-8920-93ACCB6611D1.jpeg

Anyone else growing saffron?

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
I've thought about it. There is a local grower here in Utah so I guess I could do it.

Joined Apr 25, 2017
It is on our very long why not try it list. Along with peppercorns. You may have moved the saffron up a space or two towards the top, thanks!

Joined Nov 15, 2012
Ahaha, I recall the first time I used saffron. Tossed the contents of one of those tiny vials into a cup of uncooked rice, no crushing. That was some strong tasting rice, and it continued to get stronger by the day.

I was wondering, saffron tastes like shrimp to me, with some funky ferment-like quality, how do others here experience it?

Joined Sep 17, 2018
Ahaha, I recall the first time I used saffron. Tossed the contents of one of those tiny vials into a cup of uncooked rice, no crushing. That was some strong tasting rice, and it continued to get stronger by the day.

I was wondering, saffron tastes like shrimp to me, with some funky ferment-like quality, how do others here experience it?
It has always had a floral taste and aroma to me.

Joined May 28, 2015
Yes - I've grown it in the past. Its fun to do but simply not worth the effort for culinary purposes. You need vast quantities of it to create enough for one dish! The reason its so expensive is because of this and the fact it has to be painstakingly harvested by hand.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Correct, Morning Glory... it’s a labor of love I suppose. Here is 2 years of harvest. Almost enough to make a small paella. :)

Now I wonder... plant more or just buy saffron?

9760011C-7336-4FE0-8C90-A4D172CDC62B.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom