Chef Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grocery shopping during this pandemic

6K views 29 replies 10 participants last post by  phatch 
#1 ·
The store I work in is very small. Get 20 people in there and it's difficult if not impossible to social distance, yet the tourists as well as the locals seem to not give a care about distancing.
We've removed half of our carts to limit the number of people in the store.
We have lines drawn on the floor to dictate distancing, signs asking people to maintain 6 feet, but people are not following any rules.
The line at the cashier is shoulder to shoulder.
If a cashier, or store worker, such as myself, asks people to "step back please," we are met with anger, contempt, and refusals to shop at our store again.
Ugly rumor yesterday that our town had it's first confirmed case of the virus put us all on edge. It turned out to be gossip.
I don't understand the mentality and am very frustrated.
I must record my temperature on my time card, and wear a mask the entire time I'm at work.
Whole families come in but only one of them is shopping. The rest are taking up space that others need to shop and distance themsleves.
People seem to think that they are on vacation here so that merits ignoring safety protocols.
I had to vent....thanks Chef Ross

See less See more
#2 ·
I would consider yourself very lucky to not even have a first confirmed case yet. If people are ignoring safety protocols than that is kind of on the business and management. During the rough patch here grocery stores literally had queues outside with a security officer to control flow. Staff were assigned to make sure people were far enough from one another in the check out lines and required masks signs were posted everywhere. I understand the logistics of keeping everyone apart is hard in a place like a grocery store where everyone is constantly moving and touching items. If people are getting so mad at being asked to step back then kick their asses out and after finding that they have no where to get food maybe they will change their tune. As far as the whole families thing, that is kind of a hard one. While I'm working my wife has to go grocery shopping and has to take the kids with her. They wear masks and act responsibly but still get looks. So it may not always be an issue of not caring about the safety precautions but rather just not being able to fully follow them all the time. The businesses really need to be proactive because if the customer base sees that they rules are not being enforced of course they are going to be lax about them. Good luck and I hope you continue to be negative.

#3 ·
Here in Upstate NY, most everyone has gotten on board with protocols. Some are hesitant to cooperate but now peer pressure works well. Plus we have signs on every business stating in no uncertain terms, "No Mask, No Entry". Everyone realizes it isn't a joke. And there are distancing signs all over as well on walls and floors. Politeness reigns as we realize we are all in new territory.
On the other hand a local pub just lost their liquor license for not enforcing the mask rule. Now the patrons know that the authorities aren't messing about.

#4 ·
From what I have seen the virus spreads when groups of people congregate in confined spaces that has little ventilation. I don't consider myself a virus paranoid, but I would not enter your store seeing that situation from the front door. Masks do next to nothing.

I don't like being the "covid police". I also hate lining up outside a store, but in this case it looks like it's the only thing to do, workers need to be protected. Station somebody by the door, let a certain number in initially and as someone leaves let another in. People should be used to that by now.

I might also look for ways to display and sell things like produce outside if possible. For your own good I would also do what I could to increase fresh air and ventilation into the store, but I know that's not something that is going to be possible.

#8 ·
I'm in Montana and the Governor here signed an EO requiring masks in all public spaces. I've seen very few people ignoring the order and have heard virtually no complaints. But I recently took vacation to visit family in South Dakota and it's a shit show! Not a mask in sight except places like Costco that mandate it storewide, and zero social distancing in public. I'll note that Sioux Falls had a huge number of cases at the JM plant (which actually had to close on account of it) so you'd think there'd be some common sense. It doesn't help that the SD Governor is a moron.

#9 · (Edited)
A quick look indicates that the spike in cases resulted from the colleges resuming and the students "partying" together at bars and other gatherings. Nothing to do with masks. Bars should have never been allowed to open and school reopening should have been reconsidered or modified.

As for the Smithfield plant:
"Living circumstances in certain cultures are different than they are with your traditional American family," she explained. The spokesperson and a second corporate representative pointed to an April 13 Fox News interview in which the governor of South Dakota, Kristi Noem, said that "99%" of the spread of infections "wasn't happening inside the facility" but inside workers' homes, "because a lot of these folks who work at this plant live in the same community, the same buildings, sometimes in the same apartments."
Again, nothing to do with masks. Matter of fact it's my experience that immigrant workers tend to be hyper vigilant about wearing masks.

In both these cases it's obvious that the virus spread because of people congregating in enclosed spaces.

#10 ·
A quick look indicates that the spike in cases resulted from the colleges resuming and the students "partying" together at bars and other gatherings. Nothing to do with masks. Bars should have never been allowed to open and school reopening should have been reconsidered or modified.

As for the Smithfield plant:

Again, nothing to do with masks. Matter of fact it's my experience that immigrant workers tend to be hyper vigilant about wearing masks.

In both these cases it's obvious that the virus spread because of people congregating in enclosed spaces.
I don't believe 1 or a million more case increase matters if you don't consider all of the data on what percentages of those new positive cases are either:

-"New" cases of people who had previously had it and not know it, but have had a occurrence via testing.
-Percentage of those new cases broken down by age, health, etcetera.
-Percentage of those new cases resulting in hospitalizations.
-Percentage of those hospital cases resulting in ICU admissions.
-Percentage of those cases resulting in death being reported as Covid-19 being the primary cause.

We are doing over a 100K tests a day here, and have a positive percentage less than 7/10th's of a percent. Increased new cases sounds scary and may turn into something scary, but only going off one set of numbers is not a good way to view the data.

#13 ·
One reason given for masks is that they keep the wearer from touching their eyes. But if you watch most people wearing masks they constantly play with it and touch their face. Then too, the situation with hands is not what we are accustomed to. We in this business are concerned with very real every day possibility of cross contamination from one food to another, one surface to another. That's why we know when and why to wash our hands and wear gloves.

But with general public and the virus it's different. The concern is the small chance that you will pick the virus up off a contaminated surface, touch your eyes and provide yourself with enough virus to cause you a problem. If (and it's a big if) that's going to happen it will be before you can get to a sink to wash your hands, use hand sanitizer or remove your gloves. You're gonna play with your mask with your contaminated hands because it's annoying and uncomfortable.

They always give us the worst case (theorized) scenario as to how long the virus stays active on different surfaces or in the air. But in reality, environmental factors such as relative humidity, temperature, amount and type of UV radiation and air currents all play a big part to mitigate those numbers and in most cases, especially outdoors, the risk is practically zero.

#14 ·
Chefross, I feel your pain. We are also a tourist area and people do act like being on vacation also means vacation from precautions. We were doing great with numbers until tourists started pouring back into the area.

We too have been having to ask people to back up from the person we are actually helping at the moment. It was less often at the beginning, but more and more each each week as people get "caution fatigue". We get it, but are not going to allow it. We've had a few walk off in a uff, but we are lucky in that we can afford to lose those few people who do not understand or care.

A local bistro has very large signs on their doors stating the rules with "As required by the county" in big letters at the top. This allows them to enforce the rules but blame "the man", which has helped since the customer feels sympathy for the workers "having" to follow the rules. Does your town have a masking rule? Perhaps your signs could remind people that the store doesn't have a choice either?

I wish I had more advice, but I do understand your frustration.

#24 ·
those who seriously can not, If you can not, stay home and use a delivery service or have a friend shop for you
This is kind of where I thought we should have been already. We have enough data to show what demographics will be statistically most severely affected by Covid-19 infection and we should have a paradigm shift of suggesting those people stay home and take extra precautions while we phase in lower restrictions for the rest of the population.

At the end of the day I will still wear a mask when I go into public places even though I have asthma and have to lower my mask periodically when no one is around to regulate my breathing. Is it a nuisance? Yes and I don't believe it is really doing that much for me when I am generally not within people's "bubbles." But if it going to avoid a brawl with someone when I go to get groceries than I'll wear it. My biggest problem is that I do not like excessive government over reach and I feel we are heading down a slippery slope if anything can be labeled a "public health crisis" and gives politicians unbridled power. There are many people out there trying their best to help in this time but there will undoubtedly be people who will find ways to take advantage as well.

#26 ·
I hate grocery shopping now. I used to love it pre-pandemic. We live close to our local farmer's market and I loved goign there and visiting with the vendors as I grocery shopped... now I get in and get out as fast as I can. I've switched from going to our local grocery store to using a delivery service for our pantry items and when I haven't been comfortable with the number of people at the market I have used the delivery service for fresh foods too.

#27 ·
We do most of our household shopping as early as possible - like 6 or 7 AM - because the air has had a chance to settle, and the potential of being cross-contaminated with someone else's viral load is diminished... we still take precautions, but I feel a lot better about it.

The one issue I *do* have is some of the suppliers I used to deal with are severely reduced staff-wise, so it's hard to get high quality bulk foods... It feels like I'm competing with everyone else, and getting what is allegedly "first quality" (especially produce) but is stuff we used to pass on. Also my old milling company no longer ships long distance... so trying to get the flours I'm used to using is getting difficult.

I can't wait until we start to resume something a little closer to normal...

This post has been deleted
#29 ·
So here we are July 31,2021 and again we are being asked to wear the masks that don't work inside and around large gatherings.
July 4th 74% of the partiers in Cape Cod that caught the virus were already 100% vaccinated......Hmmmmmmmmmm
I read that the vaccinated partiers transmitted the virus, they didn't get sick themselves. That's why they're asking for masks, to protect the unvaccinated. Want to end masks? Get vaccinated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.