Grills: Gas or Charcoal?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by nicko, Jun 28, 2002.

1. Give me a gas grill....

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Charcoal is the only way to go, gas grills are for wimps.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I never grill it is too hot for me.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I have a weber genesis gas grill which is nice but I miss the charcoal grill because I seemed to get a better smoky flavor with my grilled foods. Still I enjoy the gas better simply because it starts up so fast. So what is your preference and why?

2. daveb

daveb

I have to agree with you. Although I feel that I get a better result with charcoal, most days I simply haven't the time to wait for a charcoal fire to burn down. With the gas, it's light and go.

3. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I have both a 22 inch weber kettle and a weber genisis gas grill,all my meats and any smoking I do I do on the kettle grill.

I love the convience of the gas grill as well :)

4. katbalou

katbalou

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    for me it's the convenience, push the button and the flames are on and my side burner makes me very happy as i have an electric range in the house. ughh. just can't get the flames in the saute pan with electric or moderate the heat as well . i use my grill from march to nov.- dec. i don't know if that's more than most people or not.
    kat

5. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Katablou,

In Chicago I have seen people grilling in the middle of January :D...

6. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I use a charcoal grill. To start my charcoal I use the chimney charcoal lighter by Weber. It's great since using it has eliminated the need for any sort of lighting fluid. Charcoal rules.

7. peachcreek

peachcreek

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Charcoal is the way I go. Lately I have been adding a little chunked hickory to my coals. A day or two ago I grilled peppers, eggplant and garlic for a grilled veggie sandwich for the restaurant. They turned out great.
    I used to do a BBQ every Friday and Saturday night during the Summer for 5 years straight. My BBQ was a converted 55 gallon drum with some venting welded to the top half. To keep my costs down I would bring my leftover firewood from home (lodgepole pine) and use that instead of buying briquets. My tourist customers would rave about the flavor. I got a little sheepish when I had to tell them that my "bbqing wood" I bought for $90 a cord, and that was for "split and delivered"....

8. katbalou

katbalou

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    nicko,
    come what we call the jan. thaw- when the temp hits around 32, a heat wave-i've been known to fire the grill up. my kids think i'm a little nuts, but they enjoy the burgers! ;)
    kat

9. mstevens

mstevens

You know, I've never really been able to resolve this quandry, so I covered all the bases...

[​IMG]

OK, The traditionalist in me finally got it's way, meet blue...

[​IMG]

Use Lump charcoal with hickory and oak sticks...

10. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I use a gas grill right now for convience's sake. Just fire it up and go. Eventually, I want to build a big charcoal/BBQ pit with smoker, but that baby is going to cost me lots of dough. So, until then, I will continue to fire up the gas grill. And I too have been known to fire up the grill in just about every month and every type of weather.

11. marmalady

marmalady

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Charcoal - natural lump - all the way! To me, cooking on a gas grill is no different than using a grill pan on my stove! And I use the chimney charcoal lighter, too; it just becomes part of my 'mise en place' for dinner. Start the charcoal, chop the veggies!

12. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I grill year round here in Minnesota. My ex neighbours been known to be out there at 10 degrees. It's a sight to behold, we all have our weber grills out there and there's a patch right up to the grill but the sidewalk is under 4 feet of snow :)

Kuan

13. mstevens

mstevens

I've always felt it made more sense to stand next to a blazing grill in January than in July, but I smoke and grill year round.

14. shawtycat

shawtycat

Exp:
    As the ultimate family grill gal I say: GIVE ME CHARCOAL! I hate gas grills. And who wouldn't want a chargrilled burger in Jan. :D Drooling neighbors beware.

Jodi

15. mstevens

mstevens

[​IMG]

16. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I'm a Gas Griller.

I like the ease of setup, prep and cleanup. It's tougher to get as hot as a charcoal fire, but doable. Gas is much more controllable.

For the speed things cook at the grill, the smokiness of charcoal is negligible. When I want to smoke, I have a smoker for that, or I sometimes do a hybrid with wood chips for smoke and indirect heat on the grill.

I agree, chimneys work well for starting charcoal for dutchovens and that sort of thing. At a cookout this weekend, a woman was using a stove to light charcoal. Put the charcoal in a steel basket with a long handle. Set over a burner and go. Pretty quick.

Phil

17. chiffonade

chiffonade

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I would have liked to see an option that said, "I use a gas grill for the convenience but prefer charcoal." While it's wonderful to be a purist and have the time to dedicate to it, I like the fact that I can come home from work at 7:00 p.m., be grilling by 7:05 p.m. and finished at 7:25 p.m.

Besides, marinades, bastes and rubs impart a good deal of flavor to foods cooked on gas grills. I've never had anyone complain my food didn't taste BBQ'd enough because it was cooked on gas.

18. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I think there is a very obvious ommission in the poll:bounce:... I failed to see the Wood option!! I grill, almost exclusively, over wood. Say what you will about the time involved, but nothing beats the taste and appearence of a well-brined turkey cooked over pine.
    A purist would preach that pine is too sticky, leaving too much residue. That may be so, however, the flavor is unbelievable. Mesquite and hickory are so commonplace that they are nearly robbed of their character. I burn pecan shells, walnut shells and apple wood for added smoke. Pine is cheap, plentiful and throws an arsenal of fire!
    I have a 550 cubic inch, iron-top grill with a reinforced steel plate to hold up to the immense heat that comes from the wood.
    To control the fire, I use a combination of water-soaked logs and the dry stuff while manipulating the side-mounted baffle to control flare-ups.
    Charcoal is a good second choice, especially for speed. But, when time is not a problem, burn a tree.

19. mikelm

mikelm

Exp:
    Home Chef
    I'm a 12-month griller, shovelling a path through the snow onto the patio when necessary.

I'm old and lazy and bought a gas DuCane grill 20 years ago when I wasn't old, but already lazy. I liked the rotisserie with its own rear burner. I replaced the entire insides about 9 years ago. If you want parts at good prices for almost any grill, see

www.barbecuerenew.com

I was about to do it again, but walked by a really BIG gas grill at Sam's Club a few weeks ago, and was hooked. For $600, it's a 3-burner, 25" x 32", 54,000BTU unit, mostly stainless top and cabinet, with a rotiss and 10,000BTU infra-red rear burner, a side burner, cabinet below, four locking casters, spice holder on the right shelf, and full weather cover.

Couldn't resist. Gave the DuCane to my son.

Still learning to use the thing. I'm happy with soaked chips in a stainless pan for flavor.

One thing, though, this thing uses gas like crazy, although I think one burner at a time will be more economical.

MIke

20. gonefishin

gonefishin

Exp:
    At home cook
    I have both a gas and charcoal...but I just love cooking with my charcoal weber kettle. Just the other day I cooked up some wonderfully marbled ribeyes on the charcoal grill. Yumm...yumm...yumm :lips:

For smokin'...I like to use a convection smoker :bounce:

happy grillin'!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.