Chef Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts
Discussion starter · #42 ·
I made some pickles recently.. dill pickles. I basically followed the recipe from Michael Ruhlman's book on Charcuterie for "traditional dill pickle" .. but I added a full tablespoon of smoked and ground Carolina Reaper powder that I made. This should cut the fat on a pork butt and put hair on your chest whether you're a man or a woman :cool:

Food Ingredient Recipe Natural foods Cucumber

Green tomato sweet and sour yesterday.
All went well. Got the green tomatoes in jars. Let the sugar-vinegar concoction boil to make it syruppy. Poured some hot on the tomatoes and let the remainder cool in the pot as thats what the recipe said.
Turned around for a couple minutes, then went to check on the syrup and I found a frog in it (properly boiled).
Outdoor (bush) kitchen.s are not always that great

When the rotten tree fell apart and landed on my trusty old offset, it didn't do much serious damage.

Automotive tire Tire Plant Road surface Bicycle accessory

Both the firebox and main body are intact. I've got automotive bodywork tools that would work well for rust removal, give the old girl a nice new coat of paint.

Or I can just be lazy and buy something new. A fancy, electronic pellet smoker? Another basic offset? A combo gas/charcoal unit?

It is getting warmer, want to do more grilling and smoking soon, but it is difficult to choose the proper path.

mjb.

I have top round in the Joule @ 125f and half is going on the grill tonight along with a pre-done russet. I have broccoli in the fridge I might steam and chow - either that, or a salad.

Discussion starter · #49 ·
@teamfat I am a big fan of my pellet smoker after being a stick burner for years. I attended a couple professional bbq comps to help with a friends team and saw that a lot of people were using pellet smokers. Mine's a camp chef. This weekend I did a 9 hour smoke of some USDA prime beef plate ribs. You can see you get a good bark and good smoke ring.. and if you want to you don't have to sit there for 9 hours with a beer looking at temps. I've had it conk out on me once because I let it run out of pellets lol.

Food Recipe Ingredient Wood Cuisine

Food Ingredient Recipe Kitchen appliance Beef

Discussion starter · #52 ·
I've only done one beef chuck roast.. but yes! What a great economical cut that will get you close to brisket town for a fraction of the cost. It's a cut I probably should work with a lot more. The biggest issue I had with it was that some parts did dry out because it does require a 8-10 hr cook. But that happened on these ribs a little and it happens on a brisket (burnt ends)

Most of my dishes for the fowl challenge were done on the braai and posted there, but got some pics left
My weber 47 cm had broken legs, so I devised another contraption for it. Esp because I got no other way to use my rotisserie ring
Light Plant Liquid Grass Sky

Chicken, spiced with home made, extra hot, massaman curry paste
Food Ingredient Recipe Fruit Kitchen appliance

Food Turkey meat Hendl Drunken chicken Ingredient

Last time I did any cold smoking I did a wedge of Stilton blue, it was amazingly good! But you have to like smoked cheese, and you have to like blue cheese. Which I do.

mjb.

Love salmon, hot or cold smoked!

Off and on I have been thinking that maybe instead of putting time and money into my old beat up offset, which has served me well for many years, I just get something like this.

https://www.oklahomajoes.com/longhorn-combo-charcoal-gas-smoker-grill

Any thoughts about it?

mjb.
Seems quite pricey for what it is. For $700 I could buy a huge box of beef
from the local butcher and a nice used smoker off of craigslist. 2 cases of beer and a nice bottle of tequila. probably have a hundred left over an oz of pot.
To each thier own...

41 - 60 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.