Grilling (NOT smoking) Saint Louis ribs?

Joined Sep 5, 2008
Saint Louis ribs are on sale here, and I've never made them. I've never smoked anything in my life and I'm not ready to start just yet. 

Is it possible to successfully grill those over direct or indirect heat (gas grill)? Anyone has a recipe or some pointers? 

Joined Jan 1, 2016
You can use a rub and cover them in foil to grill them off direct heat for 2-3 hours, then sauce and carmelize over direct heat. I do ribs that way all the time. The foiled part can also be done in the oven if you prefer.

Last edited:
Joined Dec 18, 2010
What midwife said. If you have a weber kettle, bank coals on one side and out the ribs on the other with vent above the ribs. 2 or 3 hours later, slather with sauce over the coals. If you want to start smoking... Throw a pice of hickory on the coals at the beginning of the cook.

Last edited:
Joined Sep 5, 2008
Great, thanks to both of you!

So what temp am I looking for for the 2 to 3 hours of foil-steaming? I'm probably going to do that part in the oven.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Many folks prefer to peel off the membrane before cooking, it can be a bit troublesome but not really difficult.

mjb.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
I don't remove the membrame...

Maybe I am unique, but I actually like to tear it of with my teeth when eating the grilled ribs /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

I grill them on an open grill and just keep moving them as I see fit (I will have an unlit section to move them to, when needs be).

No idea about temperature though, and I don't foil either.

I like a marinade with ketjap (sweet soy), chili, ginger and garlic and I keep basting while cooking.

I have also done sweet sticky ones (peach or apricot juice or jam, ketjap and a bit of chili). They are too sweet for me, but everyone else seemed to enjoy them.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
I'm With butzy butzy on the membrane [emoji]128077[/emoji]
You've gotten the right advice here so I'll ask, why haven't you tried smoking? It's so easy to do, just soak some wood chips and place them somewhere inside the grill. Not sure if this works with a gas grill. I know it's overwhelming considering how much info is on the net about smoking but once you do it once it all makes sense. Then you'll be addicted and smoke everything.

Last edited:
Joined Dec 18, 2010
I can understand the appeal of the membrane but it's just too Neanderthal for me. I rationalize my qweezy nature by thinking that removal helps the smoke and rub to penetrate better.

I've smoked on a gas grill by putting woo'd on the heat diffuser. It works but certainly isn't ideal.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Oh, and sometimes I've even drizzled liquid smoke on the ribs when oven roasting/stemming and grill finishing.

FF... Who has ribs on sale; you have whetted my appetite!

Last edited:
Joined Dec 18, 2010
Thanks! I'll be there! Maybe I'll see you? I'll be the guy wearing the brown tee shirt with a pic of a Webber kettle and the saying "old guys rule".

Joined Jan 1, 2016
Re smoking on a gas grill: When I was buying a gas grill for a built-in island, about 10 years ago, I had to pass on one from DCS due to size but it had a wood chip box built into it. The box slid in just above burner level. DCS (Fischer & Paykel) is a pretty high quality outfit so I'm thinking this can be viable though I've never tried a workaround where you just insert a separate chip box.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
I can understand the appeal of the membrane but it's just too Neanderthal for me. I rationalize my qweezy nature by thinking that removal helps the smoke and rub to penetrate better.

I've smoked on a gas grill by putting woo'd on the heat diffuser. It works but certainly isn't ideal.

Have you tried it? The way we make them the membrane gets crisp. It does not have the same texture as when raw.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Have you tried it? The way we make them the membrane gets crisp. It does not have the same texture as when raw.

Yes, at a BBQ joint in Texas. It was crispy but got stuck between my teeth. I didn't like it but understand why others might. I don't like 7-layer dip either... But understand why everyone else likes it.

Joined Jun 28, 2015
Anybody here heard of caja China (Chinese box) heard you can bbq in it, is it better then smoke??

Latest posts

Top Bottom