grilling fuels - burning things other than charcoal or hardwood lump

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by millionsknives, Jul 23, 2015.

1. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    What do you burn other than charcoal or wood?

I've been saving coconut shells.  Once you dry them out a few days, they burn pretty clean and give off a nice aroma.  I also save peanut shells and corn husks.  It's cheap and saves some minimal amount of coal, but also smells good when it burns.

I wouldn't call this a fuel, but I like to save any shallot, onion, garlic, skins to burn.  It gives a nice smell even far away.  This is an old carnie trick to draw in the crowds. 

Does anyone else save anything weird to burn?  Corn cobs maybe?

2. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I'll be saving corn cobs for smoke this season works great with pork and venison.  A friend of mine has an outdoor wood boiler and it's just a matter of a shovel full of fresh hot coals in the Weber and he's good to go.  We're big on apple and cherry around here too and I like white oak for cooking fuel.  Burning wood for coals takes planning, but is so worth it IMO.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
    flipflopgirl and millionsknives like this.
  3. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    I have grapefruit tree wood that I've been saving for a paella... one of those days! 

millionsknives likes this.
  4. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Yep im in new england so applewood is our go to bbq wood. I have a deal with the local orchard. They trim and save me wood chunks and I trade with some smoked pork butts.

Im going to save up dried out corn cobs over the summer.

I know about bbq hardwoods for smoking from fruit and nut trees. I'm more interested in anything weird you save.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  5. kingfarvito

kingfarvito

Exp:
    Line Cook
    the creosote bushes when i was in Arizona, they're what gives the southwest is characteristic rain smell, really good for grilling seafood over. I also really like to smoke elk or venison over a mixture of mesquite pods and new spruce needles.

I just moved to new York, so once I've been here a while ill chime in again and let you know what I've found.