Grilling Cross Contamination

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by Seoul Food, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Seoul Food

Seoul Food

Exp:
    Executive Chef, Dining Services Director, Catering Manager, Business Operator
    So the grilling/BBQ season is wrapping up for most home cooks around here this month and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this subject. I've been to several grilled events at friends and families' homes and noticed a lot of people will use a pair of tongs to grab raw meats out of a bag/container and then transfer to a grill, and then just stand there with the tongs outside of any heat and then use them to plate the cooked food. It kind of grosses me out and I'm under the impression that the time spent flipping or moving any meat is not really enough to kill off the bacteria on the cooking utensils. Not a earth shattering question just wondered if anyone else i bothered by/has come across this. Thanks.

2. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    That’s just nasty. But how many people do you know that suffered any real consequences because of that... probably none.

3. Seoul Food

Seoul Food

Exp:
    Not really sure. I know I've had food poisoning like symptoms before but generally I don't discuss them with anyone so I would imagine if someone was sick they either wouldn't know where it came from or wouldn't talk about it in casual conversation.

4. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Heat from the cooking will kill any bacteria that get transferred BUT I prefer to wash things off... but I use a gloved hand to move meat to the grill then toss glove... tongs only get used on what is cooking.

5. Seoul Food

Seoul Food

Exp:
    Good to know I'm not the only one that goes back inside to wash my utensils off in between cooking.

6. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Yes, it has the potential for cross contamination and in setting where you are working with many, many pounds of meat, and serving a lot of people you want to take all the necessary precautions as pooling all that meat significantly raises the potential for contamination. That being said, when I am at home, it is usually 1 pair of tongs and I don't wash between raw product and cooked. Never made anyone sick.

7. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
  8. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I think about this too in the kitchen as well. You use tongues to transfer raw meat to a pan, then what do you do? Hold on to those tongues and continue flipping and serving the meat? At least when you’re grilling you can insert the tongues in the grate and heat it up to kill the bacteria. In the kitchen I just grab a new pair of tongues to remove the meat from the pan.

9. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I just stick the tongs in the fire after handling raw meat, like Koukou says.
    In the kitchen I generally handle meat by hand and just wash my hands straight after. Once in the pot/pan, I use tongs, fork or whatever tool is close by