grilling bone in pork chops and country style ribs

Discussion in 'Q&A With Steven Raichlen' started by durangojo, May 26, 2011.

1. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    good morning steven from the beautiful colorado rockies

my husband adores bone in pork chops and while i can normally cook most things every which way, i cannot seem to find my zen space with those puppies. do you brine, marinate, rub, nothing? high heat, low heat, high heat first, then low? would love your advice and any suggestions. the same goes for country style ribs...how long? low and slow? i usually end up cooking them in a crockpot on low for 8 hours, but love the taste only a grill can give...thanks steven....how lucky can we be? just in time for memorial day!!!

joey

oh, forgot to say, i have a gas grill, if that helps

2. steven raichlen

steven raichlen

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Durangojo, thanks for your question. The lean pork that's being bred today (in the wake of the Pork Board's now defunct slogan: "The other white meat") is a challenge for grill masters. Brining is certainly a way to tenderize chops and country-style pork ribs. And just this past week, the USDA approved lower safe cooking temperatures for pork, reducing the optimum temperature from 160 to 145--something many of us have quietly been doing for years. Thick chops--and I prefer bone-in--can be butterflied and stuffed with your favorite savory stuffing, which helps keep the meat moist. Sear on both sides, then reduce the heat and indirect grill until tender. Country-style ribs are almost like chops, and do best when cooked at low/slow temps. You can spritz them with apple juice, or even put apple juice in a disposable aluminum foil pan to maintain a moist environment. Hope this helps.

3. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    color me stupid, but i'm not clear about what 'indirect' grilling is....thanks again....

joey

4. steven raichlen

steven raichlen

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Direct grilling means food is directly over the heat source, while indirect grilling means the food is exposed to heat in an indirect way--i.e., off to the side or between heat sources over an unlit part of the grill. Indirect grilling is akin to cooking in an oven, while direct grilling is more like cooking over an open flame on the stove.