Grilled Lemongrass Chicken

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by ohumphrey, Sep 25, 2005.

1. ohumphrey

ohumphrey

Hi,

I've tried to make grilled lemongrass chicken twice now. Both recipes involved using pounded thin strips of chicken and marinating in a lemongrass mixture for a few hours before grilling.

While the result was good, it had nowhere near the strong lemongrass flavor in some restaurant grilled lemongrass chicken. What are they doing right?

Thanks.

Olga

2. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Pound the lemongrass using a mortar and pestle until it's really really crushed and looks like hay. You can also use a food processor. The lemongrass kinda sticks to the chicken and chars up on the grill. Really releases the aroma.

Sometimes it's best to describe what you're doing or post the recipe you're using. That way we can get a better handle on what you're doing.

3. markv

markv

Ditto. This will release more of its essential oils.

Mark

4. mangilao30

mangilao30

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Make sure you peel off the older layers and use only the yellow end and not much of the green part. When you slice through the yellow part, stop when you reach the end of the purple part. This is the most fragrant part.

Slice the lemon grass and paper thin as you can before you pulverise it. Then pound or put in a food processor. Did you remember to marinate the meat in a bit of lime, fish sauce, chili, and sugar.

5. hammerwrath

hammerwrath

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    You will need to pound the lemongrass to release the flavours. Traditionally this is done with a pestle & mortar.

6. jimcooks

jimcooks

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Find a supplier of organic lemongrass pure essential oil. I buy mine from a shop called Silk Road in Victoria BC in vials from 5-50ml. Add as much as you'd like but be careful it is surprisingly potent. I find a few drops is often plenty.