Greetinngs With Epicurean Enthusiasm

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by saffron, Aug 20, 2003.

1. saffron

saffron

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Greetings all...it has taken two days for admin clearance before being able to post and in the meantime have been delighted to view all the forums, discussions, expertise, clever quips, inspirational recipes and support you provide both personally and professionally.

I am a private chef here in Connecticut. Last client was truly a dream come true and will be a hard act to follow(well.....next to getting a call from Harry Connick. Jr, Michael Bolton, Keith Richards or Sting as their private chef....) . Now open to the next exquisite opportunity.

Looking forward to connecting with my culinary colleagues.

:chef:
    La torche de l’amour est allumee dans la cuisine!

2. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hello Saffron, and welcome to Chef Talk! You join thousands of culinary enthusiasts and professionals to enjoy learning and sharing. There are several very active members who are also from the Nutmeg State!

I agree with your signature line: The torch of love is lit in the kitchen! Welcome to Chef Talk.

Regards,
    Mezzaluna

3. isa

isa

Bonjour Saffron, welcome to Chef Talk!

4. saffron

saffron

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Hi Mezzaluna and Isa,

Thanks for your warm welcome. I am very excited to have found this site and look forward to contributions in various forums. Already posted two pvt messages to different members based on some old posts. Is that the best way to connect for older posts?

Saffron:)

5. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I might well be, especially if the original poster doesn't seem to be here much. Some people, alas, have dropped from sight.

6. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Welcome to the boards Saffron!! I see you have already met 2 of our most active members here, and I am sure you will meet many, many more. Please tell us more about yourself-the foods & cuisines you love to cook, and what brought you to this crazy profession in the first place!! In the meantime, enjoy browsing the boards!!

7. futurechef212

futurechef212

I'm also a new person to the boards and I would like to welcome you as well!! Kirsten:lips:

8. saffron

saffron

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Hi Mezzaluna & Pete,

If Miahoy is watching thank for your very timely personal reply regarding an old post. I had that interview today and because of your support went with a much more open mind.

So, my background followed a formal corporate route. My family on both sides has been in the food and hospitality biz for well over 5 decades.....my father just retired after 45 years at the Waldorf Atoria in NYC (I don't think anyone in my generation would be able to be at one place that long!!!), my great uncle was the executive chef at the Carlisle Hotel in NYC, my grandfather a chef in Europe with Italian cuisine and my maternal grandpa was head maitre d in Puerto Rico's Carribea Hilton.

Although I learned so many of the classics from the family, I knew the rigors and went off to pursue the Corp World. As I think back, it was not MY idea but followed what my mother "wanted me to do." I guess she was adamant knowing how little dad was around.

Well, after many years and more corporate politics than I could care less about, I went into the art world and low and behold was designing and manufacturing butlers and valets (you've seen them before....from 4 foot to life size height butler holding trays....kind of functional artwork if you will) I guess I never realized the (subliminal) influence my family had (probably would have been a big topic if I had ever gone to therapy....lol)

So I relocated to CT and recreated myself...following my heart and passion. Tho' I have a MS degree and only culinary classes and member of two culinary groups, I do not have a "formal" culinary degree. Ran one ad and had an immediate response as a private chef....And that has created the incentive to move forward.

9. saffron

saffron

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Thanks Kirsten....welcome to the Chef Talk Forum also.
    By the way, I love your icon. Everyone has a creative icon....but me. Don't know how you do it, but it adds to everyones charm!:p

10. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Wow, Saffron, you come from a storied culinary background. I hope your new employer knows and appreciates that. I hope you get much more satisfaction out of your new gig.

11. saffron

saffron

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Yeah Kirsten.....I followed your instructions and have my Icon....The avatar selections didn't have a martini icon which is definitely one I'd love. I think I have to wait for 35 posts before I can create a cutomized one.

In the meantime, I'll enjoy the selected one. And thank you again!!!
    With Saffron Smiles...:chef:

12. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Nice to meet you Saffron,

Happy you found us.

What did your father do at the Waldorf?

I've used Arno Schmidt as an consultant and my former GM was assistent director of operations in the 70s Emily Bowden.

Good luck being a private Chef, CT a great state for that.

CC

13. saffron

saffron

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Greeting Chef Cape,

My father was the Captain of the Grand Ballroom with security clearance being able to serve various Presidents and high profile celebs. You would think with his connections, I would have been able to enjoy all those cconcerts over the years and have back stage passes.......Alas, NO. He was alway very serious and only shared his culinary secrets. He's the last of the "old timers" where now so much has changed and the turnover very high.

Saw your profile and was impressed with your culinary credentials....where are you in CT? I'm in the Fairfield county area in beautiful Weston.

Would love to stay in touch with local colleagues.

Saffron

:chef:

14. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hi Saffron,

I'm also in Fairfield county.

My uncle lives in Weston,my family an I are in Stratford just a bit north of you.

We have some other members from CT here on Cheftalk and many in New York. We have gotten together on a number of occasions and have had wonderful times.

Hey guys,time to hit Jones farm soon!? maybe we should plan another get together.

15. saffron

saffron

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Put me on the ChefTalk get-together/party list. Sounds like a great group of people as I have experienced thus far.

Would it be fair to say that everyone brings a little culinary creation when you've gotten together??? Sounds like your very own "Restaurant Show"!!!!

Saffron

16. mike

mike

Welcome Saffron, I guess its in your blood then. Welcome.