Greetings to my new culinary friends!!!!

Joined Jan 4, 2003
Hello,
My name is RJ and I couldn't be more pleased to be a member at this message board. I am currently attending The Cooking and Hospitality Institute of Chicago (CHIC) and I am exactly 1/2 way through with it. I am 30 years old, a male, and totally excited about the future. Before I enrolled in the school, I was laid off from a terrible job. I took the time off to really think about what I wanted to do with my life. I knew deep in my heart that if I was ever going to do something better with my life, it would have to be now. Well, I'M DOING IT!!!!

Take care and I wish you all the best that 2003 can bring. I look forward to making friends with all of you!!!

Cheers,
RJ

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
Welcome to Chef Talk RJ !

Nice to have you join us. I'm sure you'll feel right at home here.

Joined Aug 29, 2000
Hi Ardge, and welcome to Chef Talk. Please have a look around and post away!

What directed you to culinary school?

Joined Jan 4, 2003
Well Mezz, I ALWAYS have had the love of cooking. It didn't matter if I was making something basic as grilled cheese sandwiches or homemade popcorn, I just loved the opportunity to do it for others. Over the years, many recipes have been given to me from my mother and grandmother. It was a treat for my friends when I made them. A very special young lady in my life named Melanie helped me really decide that I should make cooking my life's work. She helped me find the school, I enrolled, got accepted, and BOOM. Here I am!!!

BTW - I am quite a career changer. I have been a semiprofessional musician for the better part of a decade and I have my BA in Marketing. (PR Writing to be exact.) Cooking is AWESOME and it makes me SMILE!!!! So does music, but you'll starve if that gold record doesn't come along. I don't think there are too many starving chefs. Oh, the irony.

RJ

Joined Aug 29, 2000
Full belly, but empty wallet for many! :rolleyes:

What are your favorite Windy City spots to eat and buy interesting food? :bounce:

Joined Jan 4, 2003
Golly Mezz, I'd really love to sound impressive and all that, but I'd be lying to you. I really am a newbie when it comes to fine dining. I come from a hard working Italian / German heritage where most memorable meals occurred at my family's own dinner table where there's always room for one more.

I can tell you this for sure. Beef Sandwiches and Nachos are best eaten at a Blackhawks game, and Hot Dogs and Pretzels are best eaten at the Cubs game. This I know for certain. I have been conducting an ongoing study for many years. The results remain the same. LOL :p :p :lips: :)

Seriouslly, my school (CHIC) has a farmers market each and every Sunday, rain or shine. I've taken a gander through it a few times and have had some really great purchases. If you are in Chicago, drop me a line. I'll tell you more about it.

RJ

PS - I don't have any money for fine dining. :rolleyes: Someday.....

Joined Mar 3, 2002
What sort of music, Ardge? Chicago has some of the best jazz in the country.

Joined Jan 4, 2003
I have been the drummer in a few rock n roll bands over the years. My ability to read music sometimes gives me the opportunity to work as a session drummer for some singer songwriters around Chicagoland but it happens too infrequently to rely on it financially. All it does is gets my name in a few CDs and fills my gas tank from time to time. I'm happy.

My true musical reward is my own original band. We are currently writing in hopes of putting out a second CD release. There, I am really happy.

RJ

PS - I also play guitar as well. Give me a campfire and my acoustic. I'll make you smile.

Joined Jan 4, 2003
...oh yeah, what type of music does my band play now? Well, we are a female fronted rock band. It kinda sounds like a rocking and heavier Cranberries meets Alanis meets Pat Benetar with a very soft side as well. Its quite original. I happen to dig it a trillion percent. :D

RJ

Top Bottom