Greetings from SE Tennessee

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by jproaster2, Jan 18, 2018.

1. jproaster2

jproaster2

Exp:
    Coffee shop
    Greetings all.
    I run a small coffee roastery/espresso bar in SE Tennessee. I joined this site hoping to discover a vision for a minimalist breakfast, lunch and baked goods menu for our shop. I have two smallish rooms in a pretty old building that will become the kitchen. So I have much to think through.

As I browsed the forums earlier, I wondered if I'm in the wrong place for my purpose...not being a cooking professional. Who knows though. Maybe I've stumbled upon a treasure.

Regards
    John (jproaster)

And yes, I really like motorcycles. You were wondering I'm sure.

2. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    You've definitely found a treasure. There are alot of very experience people here who can offer you lots of advice and support.

3. sgmchef

sgmchef

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Hi John!

Well, to move forward with your vision...

Since you are the person that has to do the work, what baked goods can you make already?

Muffins are one of the easier baked goods to master. If you have the pans, miniature muffins can give rise to a sampler of the larger size. Same mixture, just shorter bake time. Maybe you could just sell the small ones by the dozen!

Make a batch of something called "Ganache". It isn't too difficult at all even for a beginner , and there are tons of recipes on line. Flavor it with a little of that Tennessee sippin Whiskey, buy a #30 or #40 size portion scoop, and when the ganache cools, scoop it out into a pan of cocoa powder, roll it around and try it. Would that be good with a cup of coffee? Yup (You can call them Truffles)

You could also roll it in toasted, chopped nuts, toasted or raw coconut, at Christmas in pulverized candy canes, etc.
    The good news, they will disappear before they spoil! Anything you can make with little or no waste is a big plus!

Soups can be a good avenue too.

There are too many choices with the limited info.

It would really help to know what equipment you have.

Equipment like a deep fryer or a grill may require commercial exhaust fan/hood. $$

Refrigeration and freezer, prep space are important.

Did you check local laws so you can pass an inspection?

I like your statement of "minimalist". Having a few great products is easier to manage than 40 different items.

Good start.

Here is the golden rule of food service "DON'T GET ANYBODY SICK".

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  4. jproaster2

jproaster2

Exp:
    Coffee shop
    Thank you for responding...to several issues.
    You are correct to ask what I have in my "kitchen" spaces. I have not given enough info. Just want to make sure I'm on a good website for my needs...since I'm not a chef and all.

Will begin sharing more next week; strangely enough I'm in the middle of my home kitchen reno.

John