Greetings from Kelowna, BC

Joined Dec 9, 2016
I suppose it's only polite to introduce myself. I'm Ev and I live in the beautiful (snowy right now) Okanagan Valley of British Columbia, Kelowna to be precise. By day, I work in the print industry but on weekends, you'll find me in my very humble kitchen. I love playing with food, trying new techniques, new recipes, new to me flavours and sharing them with my family. 

Now that my daughter has been diagnosed with IBS, we're going through a learning curve trying to come up with some of her fave foods, made with ingredients she can have. She's in the elimination phase right now so we know there are things she'll be able to have again in time but, for now, it's... interesting. So far, I've made cookies, pie pastry (Lemon Meringue Pie and Apple Pie for Thanksgiving dessert), cakes, and even French bread that she can have and enjoy with no pain or discomfort afterwards. I've even come across a recipe for gluten free puff pastry I might have to try. Because she can't have garlic or onions at this stage, I've also been making garlic and onion free seasonings for her (and gifts for co-workers cuz everyone likes seasoned finishing salt, right?).

It's one of the reasons I joined Chef Talk, honestly. I've been enjoying reading through some of the threads already and am looking forward to learning a lot from you all.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Welcome! IBS and food allergies in kids is a tough situation but in time adapting is possible... as you know. We have a child with severe peanut allergy and been through a couple of emergency room visits due to cross-contamination. Good luck and looking forward to hearing your experiences.

Joined Dec 9, 2016
Thankfully, a lot of the responsibility for her care falls on her. My daughter is in her late 30's but has been dealing with intestinal issues for a long time. Years ago, her then doctor told her symptoms indicated that she had IBS but never followed up with dietary suggestions or information. Nothing was ever diagnosed until a few weeks ago, when her issues landed her in the ER with bleeding. I'm just the support, doing a lot of research and experimenting with gluten free and low fodmap cooking. 

So far, the hardest thing for her has been eliminating onions and garlic. We both use both of those generously in our cooking. Thankfully, she can have onion and/or garlic infused oil so she can still get some of the flavour. 

I can empathize with your struggle with your child's allergy. It often surprises me where offending food items can be found. Peanuts, peanut oil.... in Kristen's case, wheat, onions, garlic...they're in almost everything!

Joined Dec 13, 2016
Hello Misschief.

I am also new to the forum myself. I see lots of interesting posts on here and I can't wait to learn more from everyone.

Hope to talk to you soon again! Cheers!

Joined Dec 9, 2016
Hi Eve! I've been spending way too much time here already. I have every intention of reading through the entire What's for Dinner thread and wiping the drool from my chin before going to bed every night, dreaming of yummy dishes. ;)

Top Bottom