Greetings from Iowa

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by stephanie brim, Aug 30, 2005.

1. stephanie brim

stephanie brim

Exp:
    At home cook
    I am a 22-year-old home cook who would like to go to school and become a chef. I'm researching things right now. Everything I know about cooking is self taught. I was in a kitchen just once so far and I do have to say that it wasn't an experience I want to repeat, but it was a question of professionalism more than a question of not liking what I was doing.

I love making up recipes and I vary ingredients widely. I don't know half the time, really, what my dishes would be considered region wise. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing. I also love making up desserts.

At the moment, I'm thinking of getting a few books and starting my formal education a bit early by reading. I won't be able to start school until next fall because that's when I'm comfortable with leaving home. I'm trying to decide on what school to go to.

I really hope that you guys can help me along my road to this and that I can help some people as well. :bounce:

2. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hi Stephanie, and welcome to Chef Talk Cafe. You'll find others in your position as well as those who traveled the path you're on and came out at the end as successful, happy culinary professionals.

Don't Iowa's community colleges offer culinary training? I grew up in the Quad Cities, so I was aware of that school system.

I'm sure others here can give you great advice. Stop in at the Culinary Students' forum to meet other students and potential students. Read the journal of a culinary student at the main Chef Talk site. There are also articles, reviews and more there.

Make yourself at home! Welcome,

Mezzaluna