Chef Forum banner

Greetings from Halifax, Canada

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  sgmchef 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, my name is Anastasia. My husband and I are opening a small patisserie in a shopping mall in Bedford, NS (about 20 minutes drive from Halifax). The works should start on January 1 with the opening scheduled for March 1. We are going to sell macarons, eclairs and mirror glazed cakes.

The whole endeavour is quite adventurous as my husband, who is going to be the main (and probably the only, at least for the first couple months) kitchen person is a home cook with literally no experience in commercial kitchens. Thus, we are looking for advice on the equipment, layout and tons of other stuff. I will create several threads and will do my best to avoid double-posting.

Look forward communicating with ChefTalk members,

Anastasia

#2 ·
Welcome Anastasia!

Since the devil is in the details, I hope you two have thought about the details! For asking questions of the Bakers here, greater detail brings better answers. We only know what we you share with us. Right now, I only know that you make the three products you shared.

I do hope at least one of you has business experience! Learning how to run a successful business at the same time as you learn to bake professionally is a rough road.

Have you already studied ALL the local regulations? I would get your husband some sanitation training! You may need approval from more than 1 office for your layout. The Health inspectors have regulations and the Commons Plaza may have additional restrictions. Details...

If you don't have buckets of money I would check to see what equipment is available, used, locally. Then ask the professional baking folks here to give you their ideas as to what might work the best for you. Not sure I would want the only (insert brand name) oven in a 1,000 miles...

I really just wanted to say Welcome! I am NOT a baker, but I had a million questions run through my mind and got carried away!

Good Luck, Eh!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.