Greetings from Germany

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by ojosverdes, May 14, 2005.

1. ojosverdes

ojosverdes

Hi there,

I just found this site and am very excited to be here. I hope to learn a lot from everyone. I have no professional training other than standing over the shoulder of the women who cooked in the house where I stayed as an exchange student in Mexico everyday for one year and taking careful notes from my German mother-in-law. Nevertheless, I love to cook and try to new things. I hope I can also help out with some questions here and there. Great to be here.

ojosverdes

2. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Empfang Ojosverdes

3. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Welcome to Cheftalk. Always glad to have another foodie from across the Pond!!!

4. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Welcome GreenEyes! Many of us are not professionally trained, but everyone here respects knowledgeable, enthusiastic home cooks. What are some of the dishes you love to prepare? Are there local ingredients you like to use?

Nice to meet you. Come back often.

Regards,
    Mezzaluna

5. ojosverdes

ojosverdes

Hi Mezzaluna,

Thanks for your reply. My favorite recipes are the ones I learned while in Mexico (Chiles Rellenos, tacos de papa, tamales, and 1,00 more) but since I can't find a large number of the ingredients here in Germany I am not able to do a lot of them. I love to cook cakes and pastries as well but I think that is more for the artistic aspect of it. I can't even draw a stick man but I can make a pretty cake!! I have to admit I make a really yummy New York Cheesecake.
    At home we eat a lot of "typical" German dishes. My mother-in-law is a wonderful cook and has taught me most everything I know when it comes to German food. And yes, we really do eat bratwurst and sauerkraut. :D It also really helps when you are learning a language to try and figure out recipes. I had some interesting results in the beginning but I do pretty well now.
    Have a great day!!

6. armand

armand

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Moin! :)

For purchasing Mexican ingredients in Germany have a look at

http://www.mexico-info.de/mex_deutschland.html

A good friend of mine lived in Brazil for a few years and gets all ingredients for Brazilian cuisine through German internet-shops, so I guess a little googling will help.

Yossarian

7. ojosverdes

ojosverdes

Thanks for the website link. I will be sure to check it out.

ojosverdes

8. botanique

botanique

Exp:
    Other
    Are you south or north? My family is mostly Bayrische -- I'll be there in a few weeks! I have been having trouble with Semmelknodel, any tips?

9. ojosverdes

ojosverdes

Hi there,

My husband is from the North but we live in the Northwest right now. I can try to help with your knödel. What kind of problems are you having? Do they not stick together or is there a flavor you are missing? I will look for some recipes if you want. Do you want them in English or in German?
    Have a great day!!