Greetings from Florida.

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by serpov, Jan 21, 2010.

1. serpov

serpov

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Hello everyone.

I am Serpov. Its a surname, and I usually go by my surname as it is. Anyway I'm from Central Florida, and have been a line cook for going on 11 years now, and a prep-cook for some time before that.

I just recently found this forum and hope that it provides me with many new recipes to experiment with, and that I might be able to help others with my experiences.

2. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hello Serpov, and welcome to ChefTalk. We always have room for another contributor, so make yourself at home. Besides the discussion forums, we have a photo gallery, cooking articles and much more. Have a look around and enjoy being part of this great community.

What do you like about your job? Are there dishes or ingredients you particularly like to work with?

Welcome!
    Mezzaluna

3. serpov

serpov

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Hi Mezzaluna.

I like the fact that because I work at a smaller family owned restaurant that I get a chance to experiment a bit more with recipes and ingredients than I otherwise would in a chain restaurant.

I can't say that I do for sure. I do, however, enjoy making ice creams and sorbets, as a hobby. And it also helps me preserve a lot of my orange crop that I get from my four trees that I can't eat myself or give away.

4. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Ah yes, surplus citrus. My parents had grapefruit and orange trees, and for a time they'd send me a box of fruit. But one time, the delivery people didn't see the instructions, "Protect from freezing", and I had rock-hard fruit in a nice, big box! After that, they didn't send me fruit.

I have a Donvier ice cream maker and have tried inventing a flavor or two.

5. serpov

serpov

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Actually you want to keep citrus fruits from getting bleow 40 degrees or they start breaking down the sugars.

I don't know what kind of ice cream maker I have at home though...its the el cheapo model because my mother bought it...and she knows nothing about kitchen equipment. The only reason she even has a decent set of knives is because I bought them for her.