Greetings from Cleveland!

Joined Jun 24, 2010
Hi everyone! 

I'm Crazy Corey! I'm very excited that I joined this site; I've been looking at different threads and realized that this place could be very helpful for me to learn all I can about cooking in a restaurant.

I just moved to Cleveland Heights recently from Upstate New York, where  I have been cooking for different restaurants on and off for about five years. I started off in the restaurant business seven years ago as a dishdog when I was 15, and due to my great work ethic and eagerness to learn, I quickly moved up to prep, and eventually line cook.

Although the kitchen is usually very stressful, especially on weekends when everyone else I know is having fun, I still love the job and the adrenaline rush that comes when I get into a groove.

I love cooking, and most of all, food, However I really need to expand my knowledge and skills. I was never formally trained, and most places I worked they expected me to know all about cooking right off the bat. Therefore in many cases I was forced to learn through trial and error, which isn't a bad thing, but now I feel like I am really good at some things but terrible at others.

Anyways.  I will start posting all the time and hopefully make some new friends and learn some new stuff in the process.

I'm looking forward to meeting you all!

Last edited:
Joined Aug 29, 2000
Hi Crazy Corey! Welcome to Chef Talk. It sounds like you've amassed a pretty good foundation for kitchen work. My own brother started as a bus boy/dish dog at about the same age. He is the proud owner of a very successful bistro, which is in its 20th+ year. He worked for several years and in his early 20s went to culinary school. It made a difference for him, as he set his sites on fine/'gourmet' dining.

Whether or not you go to culinary school, this site and its members can be major resources for you. Work the archives; get the search tool going; read the articles; frame your questions; and participate here. You'll note we also have a job board....

I hope you enrich your repertoire and expand your knowledge here. Good luck!

Mezzaluna

Joined Feb 26, 2007
Hey Corey,

Welcome!  You have a passion for cooking - keep it up.  Any queries or ideas you want advice on, this is the place to be.

I was in the long ago a kitchen donkey buit life took me elsewhere (somewhere agreeable :) ), but I have still kept up that love of cooking and being involved here with so many informed and friendly people has given me so much.  And I try to give back where I can.

Don't be afraid to ask - as I have learnt, "A dumb question is better than a dumb mistake".  Although you have probably got most of them sorted by now.  But do ask - someone of the group will come in with a suggestion/answer which could solve the issue - even to the extent of co-workers and management and how to deal with them.

DC

Joined Mar 6, 2010
It is great to have you as part of the ChefTalk community.  We hope to see you around the forums.

D. Clay

Top Bottom