Greetings from Cleveland!

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by crazycorey, Jun 24, 2010.

1. crazycorey

crazycorey

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Hi everyone! 

I'm Crazy Corey! I'm very excited that I joined this site; I've been looking at different threads and realized that this place could be very helpful for me to learn all I can about cooking in a restaurant.

I just moved to Cleveland Heights recently from Upstate New York, where  I have been cooking for different restaurants on and off for about five years. I started off in the restaurant business seven years ago as a dishdog when I was 15, and due to my great work ethic and eagerness to learn, I quickly moved up to prep, and eventually line cook.

Although the kitchen is usually very stressful, especially on weekends when everyone else I know is having fun, I still love the job and the adrenaline rush that comes when I get into a groove.

I love cooking, and most of all, food, However I really need to expand my knowledge and skills. I was never formally trained, and most places I worked they expected me to know all about cooking right off the bat. Therefore in many cases I was forced to learn through trial and error, which isn't a bad thing, but now I feel like I am really good at some things but terrible at others.

Anyways.  I will start posting all the time and hopefully make some new friends and learn some new stuff in the process.

I'm looking forward to meeting you all!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  2. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hi Crazy Corey! Welcome to Chef Talk. It sounds like you've amassed a pretty good foundation for kitchen work. My own brother started as a bus boy/dish dog at about the same age. He is the proud owner of a very successful bistro, which is in its 20th+ year. He worked for several years and in his early 20s went to culinary school. It made a difference for him, as he set his sites on fine/'gourmet' dining.

Whether or not you go to culinary school, this site and its members can be major resources for you. Work the archives; get the search tool going; read the articles; frame your questions; and participate here. You'll note we also have a job board....

I hope you enrich your repertoire and expand your knowledge here. Good luck!

Mezzaluna

3. dc sunshine

dc sunshine

Exp:
    Other
    Hey Corey,

Welcome!  You have a passion for cooking - keep it up.  Any queries or ideas you want advice on, this is the place to be.

I was in the long ago a kitchen donkey buit life took me elsewhere (somewhere agreeable :) ), but I have still kept up that love of cooking and being involved here with so many informed and friendly people has given me so much.  And I try to give back where I can.

Don't be afraid to ask - as I have learnt, "A dumb question is better than a dumb mistake".  Although you have probably got most of them sorted by now.  But do ask - someone of the group will come in with a suggestion/answer which could solve the issue - even to the extent of co-workers and management and how to deal with them.

DC

4. madcowcutlery

madcowcutlery

Exp:
    Other
    It is great to have you as part of the ChefTalk community.  We hope to see you around the forums.

D. Clay