Greetings from Alaska!

Joined Feb 1, 2003
Hi everyone, sorry for not introducing myself in the first place. I am really excited about having other people to talk to about my interests. Especially people that understand how I can enjoy cooking so much.

Joined Aug 29, 2000
Hi jabeech, and welcome to the Cafe! We hope you feel at home.

Be sure to check our archives for earlier conversations, and use the search function to find threads of particular interest.

I'm sure your little one keeps you busy. How does your location in Alaska affect your choice of recipes? I'm guessing seafood is plentiful and wonderful, but other items are less easy to get ahold of. I'd be curious to know.

Again, welcome!

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
Welcome, yes if you are looking for something particular then use the search it is very usefull.

Joined Feb 1, 2003
Thanks for the welcome! yes my daughter keeps me on my toes and she has no desire for me to be on the computer:)
Alaska has great seafood, but not many people buy it, everyone just goes fishing. Alot of people hunt so as well as beef we have moose and caribou and sometimes buffalo. I know it sounds like we are a primitive bunch but igloos and sled dogs are a thing of the past. Produce can be more expensive and harder to get as fresh as I would like sometimes. If it is grown here it is usually large and sweet because of the sun we get in the summer. Potatoes, carrots, cabbage, lettuce all do very well here. But because of the shortness of the season corn, tomatoes, things that take longer than our summer don't grow up here unless in a greenhouse. If you want to know more feel free to ask I do't mind at all. Alaska is a beautiful place, summer or winter, I would like to be able to go to a outdoor market sometimes and get everything as fresh as possible, but things are better everyday because of better shipping methods or packaging methods so it isn't really all that bad.
If you would like to know more ask anytime.

Joined Jan 4, 2003
Hey jabeech,
I have family in Big Lake, Alaska. I've been there twice (years and years ago) and stayed in Saldovia and Anchorage. I love it and can't wait to go back. Where in Alaska are you?

Welcome,
RJ

Joined Feb 1, 2003
Hi thanks for the welcome. I actually live in Big Lake also! Small world huh? Alaska is great. Our winters are becoming so mild that alot of people are moving down south to find snow! We own two snowmachines and we are having to drive north to ride. It is pretty strange. I have lived in Big Lake three years now, it is a small community but we get so much action from people comming out to ride snowmachines or ice fish or ice race on the lake in winter then the jet skiers and boaters in summer that it is never boring. Where are you from?
Thanks for saying hi!

Joined Jan 4, 2003
YOU'RE IN BIG LAKE TOO??????? Awesome!!!! I am from Chicago. Born and raised. Someday soon I will have to go to Alaska again.

I wonder how close you are to my uncle Leo and his wife Debbie. Alaska Rocks!!!!

RJ

Joined Feb 1, 2003
I live on the north side of Big Lake. I was actually born in Seymour, Indiana. Close to Chicago. funny huh?

Top Bottom