Greetings from a Newb

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by VikingLady93, Aug 15, 2019 at 2:05 AM.

1. VikingLady93

VikingLady93

Exp:
    None
    Hello all! In my various internet searches, I stumbled across this website and have found myself continuously coming back to it over the past several weeks. Tonight I decided to create an account for myself!

I actually don't have any professional kitchen experience; although when I was in my late teens/early twenties I worked as expo in a restaurant where I worked closely with the chefs. I've spent the past several years as a Registered Nurse. For a long time now, I've considered making a career change. I'm heavily considering going into the culinary arts for a few reasons: I enjoy making things, and love when I get to use my creativity to make something beautiful and useful; I also love how good food can bring people together, and makes them happy (this is very important to me, as in my current profession I tend to see people when they are at their worst).

My question is, I don't have the time or money to attend culinary school. And in truth, I'm not convinced at how necessary it is to go get another degree and rack up even more school debt. My plan right now is to read/learn as much as I can from books and the internet, and when I am able to with my work, decrease my hours as a nurse and pick up a job working in the kitchen at a local resort that touts its culinary expertise. Is this a reasonable idea?

Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!