Greetings fellow cooks

Joined Apr 28, 2020
Currently cooking for our houseless community, previously was a personal cook for a rectory, and at home on days off! Running a triage kitchen at the moment, but making it work, still running off previous donations which will run out in a few weeks. Hated the nasal swab test for c19, hope everyone avoids doing that test! I cook for between 30-80 people, closer to 30 for the past 7 weeks. Never loved a job like I love this one, just wish I could make enough to actually supp

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
Welcome Flour glad you joined us. Thankfully they have better tests now for C19 but I have heard the same thing from others the swap test is uncomfortable even if it is for a short time. What exactly is a "houseless community" I have not heard that term before.

Joined Apr 28, 2020
I think in our community, we don't feel all of them are exactly the same or have the same needs. some are living on the streets, some out of cars, currently we have a variance to allow 5 campers in the back (we have tents and a kitchen back there, but two left, they got housing, although only one can get hired at the moment), sometimes there are people just passing through, or needful last half of the month, or like our volunteers, they just didn't want to be at home alone, and there are some that are say in and out of places to live for various other temporary reasons, I am probably missing a bunch, I mean we have gotten people coming through that are houseless by choice... so we basically just call everyone our community, and like my meal is a "community meal" so anyone can come to eat for whatever reason without having to give a reason, we welcome them 3 days a week to a proper cooked meal :) but to outsiders we call people houseless because we do not know what their home is. I am the last one joining the org as a regular, and that is just my perception of why say and do it like that. we are also a thrift store - to make cash for the org, for the resource center and the kitchen division- resource center does shower, snack bags, meal bags, shower bags

Top Bottom