Chef Forum banner

Greens and Eggs

3K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  lynne 
#1 ·
I am posting this under here because it goes with fad diets/dietary trends.

I have a guest who currently wants greens and eggs for breakfast each morning. She's doing no/low carb, but isn't too worried about fat. Very concerned about flavour. Not crazy about scrambled or omelets (stays with us for a week or so every month). Anyone have any creative ideas? Remember, early a.m., if it is something I can serve other guests, or a component of other guests breakfasts, it's a big plus!

I have done:

Eggs Sardou (minus the english muffin)
Spinach omelets (she's not fond of omelets -- but if I add bacon,etc, my other guests are happy...)
Beaten egg white and spinach "nests" with the yolk slipped on top and baked
I've lined ramekins with greens, slid the egg in on top, covered with foil and "steamed" the egg
Steamed and sauteed greens with poached eggs :rolleyes:

#2 ·
Lynne,

Ya gotta love these Challanges Huh!
I used to make this "Mock" Fettucini.
Take a flat square non stick pan,medium heat and spray with a no stick spray. Beat a couple eggs then pop them in the pan and move the pan around until the eggs cover the surface. You want a thin layor. Cook slowly,no need to turn them. When they are just cooked take a spatula and fold the eggs onto themselves. repeat until you have a rectangle and put on a board and slice about the thickness of fettucini. maybe with chiffanade of iceburg or radiccio and a tomato salsa.olives are generally low in carbs. Lynne how about a asian style poached egg? maybe some lemon grass-ginger in the poaching liquid.wrapped in steamed napa cabbage with a thia dip. Coconut milk is fairly low in carbs,it's like a 5 grams per 100,something like that
cc

#4 ·
I do make all kinds of frittatas. I love them--so many varieties and the possibilities are endless. My most requested recipe is the basil scallion frittata with a bell pepper italian sausage sauce. My current favourite is a feta spinach combo served with a grape tomato salad with a rice wine viniagrette.

I don't do morning quiches, it seems to be the total B&B cliche of a "gourmet" breakfast(and I will say it is amazing how many men have called asking "do you serve a 'real' breakfast? Not something sissy like quiches...). So I go crustless and call it a frittata--

#5 ·
Delicious ideas! Here's my daily breakfast:

2 eggs + 2 whites, scrambled in butter with about 1 oz. of cream cheese dabs (chive c.c. is great); side of crisp bacon, cup of Celestial Seasoning's Bengal Spice tea. With a little sweetener, the tea tastes like a liquid cinnamon roll. You could work the greens in as a base for the eggs or scramble them in.

I recommend Fran McCullough's "The Low Carb Cookbook". She has plenty of classics in there, which people routinely ate before the low fat movement kicked in. There are also plenty of low carb recipe sites. Some of the stuff is only fair, but there are some wonderful cooks out there making good cuisine for this way of eating. Try your favorite search engine. I'd love to hear what you come up with.

#7 ·
I used to do a recipe I think is from the old Vegitarian Epicure. Grate zucchini, salt and let drain. Squeese out liquid and saute with onion, salt and pepper. Line individual oven-proof bowls with the mixture, make a well and crack a couple of egg in. Bake and serve with Hollandaise sauce. I remember this as being terrific.

Lately I am on a carmelized onion kick. Carmalize onions and finish with a little sherry vinegar and a scattering of toasted walnuts. Good for an unusual fritatta.

#8 ·
Oooh, Hollandaise. A perk of eating low carb! I love to order Eggs Benedict when I go out (hold the English muffin, or just set it aside on my plate). Makes up for missing the hash browns.

#9 ·
Zucchini lining sounds good; would look good with some red pepper running through it...

THe Frittata recipe:

10 eggs
2/3 c. sour cream (I like the texture best with low fat)
1/2 c. parmesan
3/4 t. kosher salt
1/2 t. freshy ground pepper
2 T. chopped basil
1 bunch scallions, chopped

Combine eggs, sour cream, parmesan, S&P and basil. In 10" nonstick skillet, saute scallions in olive oil about 1 minute. Add eggs. Cook over medium heat until eggs are 3/4 set. Slide under low broiler till eggs are completely set and top is golden brown.

Bell Pepper Italian Sausage Sauce

8 oz. Italian Sausage
2 T. butter
1 large onion, sliced
1 t. garlic, chopped
5 peppers, sliced (use assorted colours)
4 c. tomato, chopped (I admit, I like to use the canned)
1/2 c. basil, chopped
1 T. sugar
1 t. salt

Cook sausage and crumble. Remove from pan and drain well. Add butter to pan and sweat onion and garlic. Add peppers, continue to cook 5 min. Add tomatoes, basil, sugar and salt. Bring to a simmer. Add sausage, reduce liquid by half.

Serve with frittata.

#11 ·
Bureka...has a fillo type dough, ricotta, parmesan and spinach or chard (wilted) with an egg in the middle folded in a 5-6" triangle and baked.

Creamed spinach and artichoke hearts with a layer of parmesan crisped ontop you can do coddled eggs or poached to accompany.

HMMMM how about a roulade with a pancetta/garlicy/ greens with mild cheese filling.

#12 ·
I only made it to Antoines for my then husband's law school reunion....so I didn't get to order off the menu and frankly can't remember what I ate...trully unusual..I'd like to try the oyster's Rockerfeller there.

[ 02-20-2001: Message edited by: shroomgirl ]

#14 ·
She's checking back in on Sunday for a week; I'll have other guests to feed as well and will try to incorporate ideas so I'm not doing a gadzillion different breakfasts--(the grrens lady, a vegan, a person who doesn't eat eggs, a guy who said he would be happy as long as it had grease, and an Adkins dieter)--For some reason I think it's going to be an interesting weekend...

#16 ·
As I promised nutcakes, here is a more complete report:

Today I did the "mock Fettucini" (Thanks Cape!) for the Greens lady -- she loved it! I sauteed scallion and chiffonade of spinach. Poured the egg and fresh basil over, etc. Garnished it with more chiffonade of spinach (she tries to do 1 1/2 cups/am), sliced black olives, halved grape tomatoes, and sprinkled it with ricotta. She wants the 'recipe.'

the vegan and the egg hater -- soft breakfast tacos, mushroom, spinach, onion and potato

the grease guy and adkins got frittata with spinach, sausage, basil and ricotta. Garnished with a grape tomato salad and cheese bread sticks!

Everyone enjoyed.

1st course was vanilla poached pears with blackberry sauce.

3rd course - vanilla custard parfait for those that were doing all 3 courses.

[ March 06, 2001: Message edited by: lynne ]

#17 ·
Lynne WOW!!

Sounds like you had your hands full.
Everything sounds so tasty.
Seems like you surpassed the expectations of your quest :)
I hope once in a while someone cooks breakfast for you ;)
cc

#18 ·
Wow. You just gave me some fabulous recipes! May I share them with my low carb friends on the low carb BB I'm part of? I'll respect your wishes.

Cape Chef, the 'egg noodles' idea is wonderful! I'd heard of using long shreds of zucchini, but hadn't thought of using egg 'pancake' shreds. I'll be using that this week for dinner.

#19 ·
Sure, feel free -- but I've done with a litle help my my friends here at CT!

Cape, Currently my next day that I don't have to do breakfast is the 27th!!! (If I don't get reservations for the 26th before then! I am hoping that someone will take me out for breakfast tacos or something!! (Can you believe that I'm not a morning person!?)

Off to shop for tomorrow's breakfast!

lynne

#20 ·
I agree, Michelle, Spelnda is great. The flavor is about the same as Equal, but its heat stability is a boon when you want to make a real cheesecake or other baked goods. I'd also love to see the roulade recipe. As for recipes: have you found Lynne's (not our Lynne, another Lynne!) Chocolate recipe? She has one for candy and one for dipping. I also found a lemon pie recipe that rocks; the filling is egg yolks, Splenda, lemon juice/rind, cream; the crust is egg white meringue. Really good, and it actually keeps fairly well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.