green tea creme brulee?

Joined Jan 5, 2001
Have you had it? It's not that great. You end up with a grey-ish looking cream and the flavour is nothing to write home about. We used to make it at this hotel I worked at. If you really want it I could probably track it down in a few days. My advice is go with a cardamom brulee instead!

Joined May 8, 2002
I was able to obtain "Simple to Spectacular" by Jean-Georges Vongerichten, and it's in there. I have the book at home, I'm at work now, but from what I remembered reading quickly, simmer a cup of milk, add a tablespoon of green tea powder. Proceed as a normal creme brulee, cup of heavy cream, etc.

I still want to try it, it seems simple enough. I would like any recipes for an unusual creme brulee. I made a Grand Marnier one a year ago, fairly good. Have you had the cardomon one, I'm not terribly fond of that spice.

If yours is any different, yes, please I would like it. I have the fax numbers of a couple of restaurants I found on the web, I'm going to fax them for their recipe.

Thanks.

Joined Jan 11, 2002
What about trying Orange Blossom creme brulee? If you like orange blossom water flavour, it's delicious. I had it for the first time at Bernard Loiseau's, God rest his soul :cry: and then made it at home many times.
BTW, great idea Anneke, I LOVE cardamom!

Pongi

Joined Jan 11, 2002
Before beating the egg yolks/sugar mixture, add few drops of orange blossom water ( you can surely find it in NY) then proceed as usual;)

Pongi

Joined Jan 5, 2001
Sorry for the delay... The pastry chef (and his recipe binder) are on vacation. I'll try to get in touch with him soon.

Joined Jan 11, 2002
I have found another interesting brulee recipe calling for orange blossom water:

Ingredients (serve 4)

-80 gr granulated sugar
-80 gr cream
-4 egg yolks
-20 gr Tokaji Aszu
-10 gr orange juice
-orange blossom water
-brown sugar

Procedure as usual. If you can't find Tokaji Aszu, you could try to substitute it with another dessert wine (something like a good Marsala or Passito). As for Orange Blossom water, it's hard to give exact doses as the concentration varies alot depending on the brand you buy.

Pongi

Latest posts

Top Bottom