Green Ketchup!?

Discussion in 'The Late Night Cafe (off-topic)' started by lynne, Mar 2, 2001.

1. lynne

lynne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Wandering through the grocery store night I found: black, neon blue and neon green pudding; blue, neon green and neon pink applesauce, juice in colours that do not exist and green ketchup!

Green Ketchup! I guess I'm a purist -- I like my ketchup to be red, my mustard yellow and my applesauce to be apple coloured!

2. foodnfoto

foodnfoto

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    The Heinz people came and pitched this product to a bunch of us food editors about a year and a half ago saying they developed it to appeal to kids. They also said their market research concluded that many people believe ketchup is a vegetable and that the green color would emphasize this belief and hence, sell more ketchup. I was shocked that large food companies would deliberately misinform their consumers. Although food coloring is benign, I think we do a disservice to our children by giving these neon colored "foods" to them. They grow up thinking this stuff is what a person should eat instead of beautiful array of real food available anywhere.

3. lynne

lynne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    That's just it!

Think of the wonderful colours on a grilled vegetable plate! The array of textures and colours in a simple pasta salad!

What kid doesn't eat ketchup even if it is "only" red?

4. anneke

anneke

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Since when do kids prefer a green food over a red food?

Did a Harvard MBA come up with that?

5. palmier

palmier

Marketing 101: Offering a different ketchup puts 2 of your products on the shelf. Little Johny likes green ketchup, but his older (more sofisticated, 12 year old)sister prefers red. You just sold 2 bottles. Other examples: New Coke....Pepsi Clear (remember that one?)....ETC.ETC.

6. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Well, as a mom of a child with neurological impairments who has horrible behavioral changes when he injests food dyes this to me is just one more additive that some (probably more than we know) kids will have to deal with....like the ADD hyperactive ones that noone has checked out for allergies.

7. lynne

lynne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Out of curiosity, has anyone seen commercials for this green ketchup? I know I don't necessarily see a lot of TV, but the only Heinz commercials I've noticed have been the buy me, I've got a new drippless cap variety.

If you have seen them, what is their hook? ho are they promoting it?

Foodnfoto, as a food stylist, how would you reccomend shooting it (like what background on what foods)? Yum, green ketchup looking like green toxic ooze over my bed of fries...yumyum.

8. lynne

lynne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Of course, toxic green ooze could appeal to some kids I guess... :D

9. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Crudeau, you hit it on the head (as usual): it's the kids they want. More specifically, it's the parents of the kids who can get away with telling their parents what to do and how to spend the money. I'm amazed at how some parents (too many, IMHO) let their kids tell them what to buy- and the parents dutifully do what their kids tell them to do, never learned to say no. ARRRRGH! Who's the parent, anyway?

10. foodnfoto

foodnfoto

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Lynne-
    This stuff would be a real monster to shoot. Red ketchup squishing out of hamburgers is hard enough to take, but green too? :eek:
    The way I've seen it advertised is kids having fun squeezing both colors of ketchup onto their burgers. Actually, the ad is pretty effective; my 5 yo son said "Mom! Can we get that?!"
    So it"s more the fun of the activity than the visual appeal of the "food" that grabs you.

By the way, have you seen dinosaur eggs oatmeal from Quaker? Talk about foods guaranteed to make you hurl! Lumpy oatmeal with candy dinosaur eggs with shells that melt and turn your oatmeal Ty-D-Bol blue.

11. lynne

lynne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Like I said before -- aqua blue is not real food!

I guess I can see how the squirt-ability has kid appeal; I just have never seen it advertised.

12. lynne

lynne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Like I said before -- aqua blue is not real food!

I guess I can see how the squirt-ability has kid appeal; I just have never seen it advertised.

from disappointed because DOOK won,
    lynne

13. bevreview steve

bevreview steve

Exp:
    Beverage Expert
    Consumer Reports did a write up on the colored ketchup a while back. They said that these new versions were very high in sodium compared to standard ketchup. So from a health standpoint, they aren't even better.

14. marzoli

marzoli

Kids will eat most things they think we would disapprove of. Witness the Tattoo Fruit Rollups! Imagine pressing food on your arm (or wherever) to get the tattoo and then eating the food. Remember the strips that clean your pores? Same thing! Yuck! :D
    So far I haven't seen the green ketchup, but I'll be looking for it!

15. pastachef

pastachef

I like the green catsup. It's not as sour or as tangy as the red. My two year old grandson has been giving us a fit about eating lately, but he scarfed down chicken with green catsup on it this afternoon. Even if it is targeted towards the kids...KIDS ARE PEOPLE TOO :)

16. bdwillms

bdwillms

I bought and tried some green ketchup the other day :cool: .
    My kids were not too impresed,but I liked it though :cool: .It was a bit unnerving though :p .Eating some green slime:like eating green paint :p :rolleyes:
    On another note there must be two ways to spell ketchup :cool: .This way and "catsup" :confused:
    All for now :eek:

17. shahar

shahar

It's a bit of the subject but what the heck.
    Considering the history Ketchup has this is just another episode.
    The word ketchup actually comes from the word for "fermented fish" in mandarin(maybe another asian language, I'm not that knowledged), aka fishsauce. This product hit eauropen cuisine in the late 17th century and was an immidiete hit(Worsechester is a sibling of this sauce). In time the word became and acronym for "chinese sauce" and was used to describe a wide range of oriental products.
    After a while it narrowed down again to descrive sweet and sour sauces(a culinary hit in the 18th century, espcially in englend where they were used to mask the taste of spoiled meat. When John Cleese was asked once about the glorious english culinary heritage he replied - "Look, we had an empire to run!").
    Among these sweet and sour sauces was a tomato preserve very similar to nowday's ketchup(not green through, but more kind of redish brown). But also bell pepper ketchups and walnut ketchup.
    Time went by again and the west discoverd num pla again. Some inventive chefs started to incoperate this new food product. Some eveb going as far as creating fusing cooking by combining it with good old american ketchup.

18. bdwillms

bdwillms

Thanks for the update :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

19. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Taillevent in Paris uses ketchup in there mayonnaise ;)
    cc

20. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    "Creamy French dressing"?????

If it were made with green catsup would it be sauce verte?
    (bleck)