Green Garbanzo beans

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by jim berman, May 8, 2015.

1. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Anybody using green garbanzo beans? How so? Like them?

2. berndy

berndy

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Never seen them offered for sale, actually never seen them at all.and do not know how they look like.

3. allanmcpherson

allanmcpherson

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I like to have them around when I can, but supply is supper spotty in my area.  For a while Cosco sold them bagged and frozen and that was a excellent product.  Canned are pointless (unless you have a thing for off grey tinned peas, then you might be into it.)  Better for cold or salad preparations, imho.

4. summer57

summer57

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Around here, Costco & some of the Indian grocery stores have frozen Garbanzo beans, though called chana or choliya in the Indian stores (usually Punjabi).  Nice in an Italian-style soup with carrots, tomatoes, onion, rosemary, parmesan rind & a grating of parm on top when serving.  Could add them to a rice pilaf, anywhere you'd add peas or fresh beans. Much better than canned & faster than cooking  dried chickpeas!

5. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Like @berndy  had never heard of them so went searching and found this.... http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/315778

We are a home of nibblers and grazers so of course will be on the lookout for the intact pods.

Will fit right in with the roasted in pod favas that @cheflayne  (I think) has already hooked me on lol.

mimi

6. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  7. summer57

summer57

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Just noticed this today on a Vancouver restaurant lunch menu --

SALMON - Golden Potato Gnocchi, Green Garbanzo Beans, Crispy Ham, Tomato Vinaigrette

8. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Thanks, @summer57  for that menu item. I work for a food distribution company, and I have been tasked with how to potentially use the green variety. Thanks for sharing!