Green Eggs and Ham

Joined Oct 6, 2001
So - how do you like your green eggs and ham?

Looking for good ideas for the B&B breakfast St. Pat's morning -- I've been challenged by guests to see how far I can take it...without being too extreme.

They will be doing the corned beef and cabbage route later in the day...don't want to repeat it or do corned beef hash.

I'm thinking about but not satisfied with:

1st course: honeydew, canteloupe and jicama cup (green orange and white...)

2nd course: a spinach and prosciutto and fresh mozz frittata with shamrock muffins w. parsley and carrot (green orange and white...)

3rd course: homemade peach cobbler w/ shamrock shaped biscuit toppers

Irish Soda Cookies for evening turndown... (neat take-off on Irish Soda Bread)

Suggestions?....

Joined Oct 28, 1999
I am sure I am forgetting the correct Irish names, but I was asked to do a brunch for St. P's day a few years back. One of the of the dishes that went over well was a smoked cod cake. Basically some (tasty!) smoked cod flaked with a traditional fish-cake binder-egg combo garnished with a poached egg. I also recall the dessert being a traditional apple cake. It resembled the 'dome' of an apple muffin with some clotted cream. Hope this helps!

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
When I read your menu I thought what no mint smoothie? Just to have yet another green thing on the table.

Then I went overboard....

Scones with green cherries

Asparagus with hollandaise, with liquified parsley so it will be green.

Something coat in green breadcrumbs, can't think of what though

Ok I'll stop.

I had a list of all the things you could add green food colouring to but I'll spare you. :D

Joined Apr 19, 2001
A fritatta - with prosciutto - for St. Pat? Oh, me friend, the old saint will be turnin' in his grave for sure! Why not keep it a little authentic, and do something like a 'strata' and use 'bangers and maybe kale?

There's colcannon (or Kolcannon), mashed potatoes with kale - make your mash, chiffonade the kale and blanche it, mix the two together with cream and butter, put in a dish and bake at 350 for about a half hour. YUM!

And there's Irish smoked salmon - or unsmoked!

This is a cake, I think, from Ballymaloe, but I'm not sure - it's absolutely delicious, though!

Tea Brack

2/3 cup currants
1 cup yellow raisins
2/3 cup dark brown sugar
1 1/4 cups brewed, strong cold Tea
grated peel of 1 orange
1 stick butter, melted
2 eggs, lightly beaten
4 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. each - nutmeg, cardomom, ginger
1/8 tsp. each - cloves, allspice
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 350; butter a 9" round deep cake tin.

Put raisins, currants, and brown sugar in a saucepan with the brewed tea. Bring slowly to a boil, then allow to cool to room temperature.

Add the orange peel to the mixture, along with the melted butter and egg. Sift the dry ingrediens together and gradually stir into the fruit mixture. Stir well, but don't beat; be sure all ingredients are blended together.

Turn into prepared pan and bake 1 1/2 - 2 hours til top of the cake feels firm.

Remove from the oven, and brush witha glaze made from 2T water brought to a boil, and dissolving 1T sugar in it. Return the brack to the oven for about 3 minutes til shiny. (Irish whiskey would be great for this, instead of the water!!!) Cool in the tin and serve sliced and buttered.

Top Bottom