Chef Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts
That looks like salsa al morcajete. Roast the chiles and green tomatoes on either a pan or over open flame then use a stone mortar and pestle (morcajete) to grind garlic salt the chiles and tomatoes. You can find various recipes on youtube if you search for salsa al morcajete.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

That looks like salsa al morcajete. Roast the chiles and green tomatoes on either a pan or over open flame then use a stone mortar and pestle (morcajete) to grind garlic salt the chiles and tomatoes. You can find various recipes on youtube if you search for salsa al morcajete.

Sfsvant...not sure if you are still offering this chubby's recipe intent. I worked there 22 years ago, prep line for a few months as my first job, not kitchen and have recently become interested into looking to nail down this recipe as I no longer live in Colorado, have kids and would love for them to taste a mild version of a green chile sauce that I absolutely love.

Tempted to call Norman Campbell, owner of the Aurora, CO location where I worked to ask him but I doubt he remembers me and would offer the secret recipe. Thanks in advance. mojimen@Hotmail.com Thank you!!

I see there are those out there that, like me, have sought to recreate the chili at Chubbys in Colorado. I have unlocked the secret and it's not that difficult to do, but it took some knowhow and an understanding of the operations of a food business. So first thing you have to ask yourself is this. Why doesn't Chubby's have that much pork in it, meaning you rarely see shreds of pork, but the flavor and some smaller specs are there. Also, I bet you're wondering how to achieve the right consistency, meaning you want that thick chili like thickness, but at the same time, the same galatiness gooey goodness.

I have experimented, with100lbs of Hatch Chiles and put myself in the to the head of someone that would own a Chubbys and I have unlocked the secret to the chili. I might be wrong and I might be right, so I'm asking that two or three people contact me directly and I'll offer my recipe and you see if it works. Hatch Chile season is ending soon so write me soon so you can use the good stuff.

Beware, this recipe is fat loaded and dangerous cause now you can make gallons of chubby's like chili and pretty cheap, hence the reason those places are making nothing but money. The chili is cheap to make. Teh process is the key. Write me and lets go over the details of some peer review of my recipe.

May I get your "copycat" Chubby's recipe? I have a quart of Chubby's green chili in my fridge - I bought it Saturday with the express purpose of deconstructing the recipe. It is definitely high-fat, after dishing some out (cold), the spoon is coated with a layer of fat. And "gelatinous" also describes it when it's cold. There is very little pork in it - just little pieces. I'll be happy to work with your recipe and see just how close I can get. You can send me the recipe at anita@denvergreenchili.com. I don't see a way to send private messages here. For some decent pictures of their chili, you can go to their website at http://www.originalchubbys1.com/

Thanks!
Anita
Did you ever get that recipe?

Denver greens, of which Chubby's is a mediocre example, share a number of characteristics. (Note that Chubby's refers to at least two distinct operations owing to a family feud years ago. The original is on W. 38th.http://www.westword.com/news/smothered-the-saga-of-the-chubbys-empire-5096433) Hot Hatch chiles. Roux thickened. Very often orange from tomatoes. Seldom tomatillos. Almost always includes pork.

@sfsavant has not been active on the board since October 28, 2013. So, please do not expect any recipes from him/her. There are any number of chili verde recipes on the web. I prepare mine with tomatillos, poblano and jalapeno chilies, onion, garlic, cilantro and spices (cumin, coriander, salt and pepper). I may add Worcestershire sauce and dried arbol chilies and thin it with stock (chicken, pork or vegetable). At my summer camp, we save the renderings from roasting pork butt and use it for dishes like this. (Rendered fat from pork butt is great for biscuits and gravy!)

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.