Green Chicken Chile

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by souplvr, Feb 5, 2012.

1. souplvr

souplvr

Exp:
    At home cook
    I wondered if a chef could eye this slow cooker recipe taken from Cuisine at Home Magazine.  I think there's a typo:

4 cups Anaheim diced peppers

4 cups tomatillo diced peppers

2 cups jalapeno diced peppers (about 5 peppers)

4 cups chicken broth

4 cups chicken

etc...

My concern is the peppers.  It calls for 2 cups of jalapeno peppers, but then says "about 5 peppers" in parenthesis next to it.  Obviously, it's a typo because I'd need closer to 25 jalapenos to make 2 full cups!?

So I'm not sure what to do.  The yield is 13 cups, but the amount of peppers I have here could melt the polar ice caps.  My hunch is that it won't be nearly as hot as it looks after slow cooking for 5 hours.  But this is pretty intimidating...

2. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Jalapeno peppers can be so wildly different in both size and heat that it's nearly impossible to tell. However 5 peppers to yield 2 cups doesn't sound so far off the mark judging by the large jalapeno one can find in the spanish markets around here. 

Having said that, 5 jalapeno peppers may be too much heat for you. Not sure how much heat you like in your chile, but I recently did a large batch of green pork chile and only used 2 jalapenos. I also used Anaheim which are a bit spicy, and poblano which are a bit spicy. In the end the chile was slightly spicy but not too much. My 3 year old kid could eat it. I thought that was just perfect.

I would say if you like really hot and spicy food go for 5 jalapeno, if you're not so much into super-spicy-hot food try cutting down to 2.