green apples (merged thread)

Joined Aug 19, 2004
undefined

We have two apple trees and unripe apples fall during a windstorm..they are very tart and the taste is not mature....what can I do with them??? we have a few baskets

Joined Dec 23, 2003
If they are VERY tart, they sound like a good sub for green mangos/green mango powder:

Chutney
Indian Style Pickles
Chaat Masala spice mix/marinade

Joined Jan 5, 2001
Have you tried cooking them down? Maybe an apple butter would be nice. The long cooking would probably bring out the sweetness. If not you can adjust with more sugar obviously..

Joined Aug 29, 2000
Apple sauce, apple butter, pie filling, quick breads (like banana bread or muffins), strudel, liqueur flavoring (?), ice cream, juice (pressed)- for starters.

What variety are they?

Joined Aug 16, 2004
poaching them should be good if they firm enough. you take off the core, peel and poach them in cider, red or white wine, add some water, sugar and spice if you decide to do a dessert you can also do it without sugar and simmering it in any liquor of your choice (sambucca for example) and fill the core with goat cheese or brie and nuts... that work for me!!! :chef:

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
I am always all for making apple butter!! Uses up a lot of apples, and once canned properly will last forever!!! And it tastes great on all sorts of things

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
Aren't underripe apples an even better source of pectin than ripe apples?

Joined Aug 29, 2000
I guess I mis-read your original post. It was not clear to me that the apples were not ripe.

I like the chutney idea. You could replace green papaya if the apples aren't too, too tart. I wonder if you could find a sweet-sour recipe and pickle them, sort of like sauerkraut?

Would drying them sweeten them a bit?

Joined Jan 5, 2001
I have merged this thread with the "Apples that fall from the tree unripened" thread. Pardon the continuity lapse.

Top Bottom