Greek Food Quiz

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
From today's local paper. I don't claim the quiz to solely test authentic Greek food; I thought it more what is considered Greek by the US. (http://cheftalkcafe.com/forums/newth...newthread&f=10)

1. This popular Greek "hamburger" consists of minced meat - usually lamb or beef - wrapped inside a pita bread, and topped with tomatoes and ''tzatziki'' (yogurt) sauce.
2. While there are dozens of cheeses produced in Greece, this white, semisoft variety is the most popular. It is typically made from goat's or sheep's milk and has a sharp flavor.
3. This yellow-skinned fruit has been grown in the Mediterranean for centuries, but has never really gained favor in America. Often called ''the golden apple," it is frequently considered a symbol of love and happiness.
4. What are the two main ingredients in ''avgolemono'' soup, the quintessential comfort food of Greece.
5. Forget about lemonade or ice tea, in Greece the summertime beverage of choice is a caffeine-charged drink called . . .
6. Greek athletes supposedly ate this soft-fleshed fruit - with tiny edible seeds - to build stamina and muscle.
7. What plant, according to Greek legend, did the goddess Athena offer the citizens of Greece. In return for this gift, she earned the right to name Greece's most important city after herself: Athens.
8. What is the name of the paper-thin dough that is layered with nuts and topped with syrup to make Greece's famed baklava.
9. Ouzo - a clear, sweet liqueur - is distilled from grapes, figs or raisins, sugar and what predominant flavoring?
10. Most every Greek household possesses this pungent herb, used to flavor meats, fish, salads, stews and sauces.

Answers: http://extras.sltrib.com/images/pdf/fea_olyfood.pdf

I got 6 right. Question 4 is not accurate as written, but if you stress the ingredients mentioned by avgolemono, then it's OK.

I missed 3, 5, 6, 7

Phil

Joined Aug 29, 2000
I missed 1, 5 and 6. Thanks for the quiz, Phil!

Here's a question for you: what sweet concoction is served to guests upon their arrival at a traditioanl Greek home? :lips:

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
I don't remember. Its' been too long since I studied greek cooking in any intensity. I may not have ever really known this anyway.

Phil

Latest posts

Top Bottom