Great News!!!

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by blue_wolf, Mar 17, 2005.

1. blue_wolf

blue_wolf

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I just had two interview in Madison yesterday and both went great. I will be accepting the job of Executive Chef with Luna's Cafe. The funny part is I went into it expecting a cooks job. He never advertised for this position and didn't tell me this is what I was coming in to talk about. He never even looked at my resume, just went off a application I did for the first place, Firefly (their both in a restuarant group called Food Fight, who owns I beleive 7 or 8 restuarants in Madison). This is my first time running a kitchen and I am extastic.

The menu is getting revamped from a high end Italian (which is in the wrong neighborhood) to a more rustic Meditarainin. Anyone have any ideas of receipes to look into or places to look up more information. Thanks ahead of time. I guess I'm just a little excited and scared at the same time... Just a little... :rolleyes: :D

2. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    OK see you there end of this month. I'm coming to eat.

3. blue_wolf

blue_wolf

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Just one problem... I don't start over there til April 7. I got to finish my 2 weeks at the CC.

And, I do believe I sturred up a hornet's nest. I didn't mean to. I was telling the Kitchen Manager how much I'm getting over there, and the head chef heard. So now she's saying he's going to be after her about money now. Not what I intended. :eek:

4. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Well live and learn right? Different markets, different salaries.

I'll see you end of April then. :D

5. devotay

devotay

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I'll be back in Madison soon and try to stop by.

Congrats and keep your head about you.

6. chef horn

chef horn

Ya have to be able to spell Mediterranean before you can learn to cook Mediterranean

I will also tell you that it's one of the most difficult cuisines to execute with authenticity here in the states. Start by developing an affinity for olive oil (the use of olive oil in some regions delivers 40% of daily calories from fat.) The diet is largely plant/fish-based, filled with a profusion of vitamin- and antioxidant-rich fresh fruits and vegetables, high-fiber grains and legumes, and complex carbohydrate-rich pastas and breads. Minimal ingred's and being able to prep of whole single serve fish is a must. Garlic is used generously in nearly every region. And every cuisine utilizes plentiful herbs and spices to play up its unique character—from Morocco’s sweet mixes of cinnamon, ginger, and turmeric to Italy’s aromatic herbs—basil, marjoram, oregano, rosemary...good luck in your new venture!

7. blue_wolf

blue_wolf

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Yeah, my spell checker is down right now... :D Thank you for the heads up on some of the basics of the cooking. I knew this was going to be a challenge and I know I can make it work. My GM is very experienced and has offered to help out with what I need help with.

8. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Good luck Blue! Nothing like jumping into the fire to get a lot of experience quickly!
    I'm sure you'll do fine :chef:

9. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Blue
    Good luck. Fortunately, there is some very well researched cookbooks dedicated to this cuisine.
    BTW Spelling has nothing to do with cooking. This forum has many experienced chefs who can't spell. Myself included ;)

10. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I second Panini,

Blue, please keep us posted, it is a very big step (IMHO) to become an exec chef, lots to know.
    BTW, I am probably the worst speller on CT, but hey, I do pretty well in the kitchen.

Use us as you see fit, and good luck. I look forward to Kuan and Devoteys reviews.

11. davidsl

davidsl

Buy the book Italy Anywhere. (Look at the link below.) You will create a wonderful and authentic menu using this as one of your resources. Just make sure you purchase quality and fresh ingredients and include the extra cost in your menu pricing. Quality ingredients are 1/2 the battle -- not screwing them up is the other 1/2. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...619355-7689448