Gravlox (Preserved Salmon)

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by joe george, Feb 17, 2010.

1. joe george

joe george

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Yield: 12 servings

3 pounds boneless salmon

1/4 cup vodka

1/4 cup kosher salt

1/4 cup sugar

2 tablespoons cracked black pepper

2 bunches fresh dill, chopped

1/2 small onion, peeled and sliced th

1/2 lemon, sliced thin

&nbsp

&nbsp

Cut the salmon crosswise into two pieces lay the salmon skin side down in a shallow pan parallel with each other. Pour the vodka across the salmon, and then sprinkle the salt, sugar, and pepper. Spread the dill across one piece of the salmon and the onions across the other piece. Layer the sliced lemon on top of the dill, then carefully roll one piece of salmon onto the other piece, enclosing the seasonings within the two pieces. (The skin should be facing out on both pieces.) Carefully lift the salmon onto a piece of cheesecloth and wrap it securely. Place the gravlox back into the shallow pan with another shallow pan of equal size on top of the salmon. Weight the gravlox by placing canned or bottled foods in the empty pan on top of the fish. Refrigerate the gravlox for 72 hours, turning it every twelve hours. To serve the gravlox, remove the fish from the cheesecloth and gently scrape away the spices, dill, onions and lemon. Slice the salmon paper-thin, on the bias, and serve with cucumber and small slices of toasted bread. 

2. coulis-o

coulis-o

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Gravlax is currently on the menu as a entree where i work.

we serve the Gravlax with Biscotti, butter, lemon, and a dressing.

the dressing is made from roasted, skinned, diced red peppers and their juices, some olive oil, capers, chopped anchovies, wine vinegar, chopped diced egg white, parsley, dill, and seasoning.

3. gerdosh

gerdosh

Exp:
    Food Writer
    I make my own too and it is so easy to make it's hard to believe most cooks don't bother with it. Ready in a few days and keeps very well refrigerated for at least 10 days, gravlox is a great concoction.

(Author of What Recipes Don't Tell You)