Granite counter top

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by janis, Nov 21, 2016.

1. janis

janis

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I recently replaced my countertop with granite.  I love how easy it is to clean and the look of it but I find it cools down food really quickly on a plate.  We have a bar counter we eat on and our food becomes cold before we are half done.  Does anyone know of a way to keep the cold stone from cooling our plates?

2. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Place mats would be my first thought.

3. janis

janis

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    My first thought too but it has very little effect.  I need something insulated or that would reflect the cold back down into the stone.

4. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Bubble wrap under the place mat. They make reflective insulating varieties as well. Look in home depot for it. Incorporate it into the base of some chargers perhaps for a more stylish approach.

Alternatively, you could preheat the spots with bowls of hot water or such.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  5. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Eat faster!

6. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
  7. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    @phatch  is on to something. What I would do is pre-heat your plates prior to plating and use the place mats. This is an interesting discussion I would of never thought about this problem with granite counter tops. I have never heard anyone comment on it. Maybe the next big trend will heated counter tops.

8. meezenplaz

meezenplaz

Exp:
    Sous Chef, Event Manager
    In the theatre banquet room kitchen half of which I built, they had granite tops all thru the dining room. And they wanted matching granite for the 48" passthru. I advised against it, they insisted. No heat lamp.
    When doing a dinner, I'd preheat plates, plate and place on the pass. The plate was cold in 2 minutes. A towel underneath didnt help much.

Someone above suggested preheating the granite...
    seriously have you ever tried to do that?

Granite is gorgeous and very tough, but beyond that it leaves a lot desired, and its over priced. I dont want it in my personal kitchen, I currently have premium porcelain 18 inch tile. And it doesnt cool plates like that. My other favorite being hardwood butcher block.

As to the cooling problem. I agree, start using insulated chargers under the plates. The only problem being, the plates cant be too hot, or they'll flark up the chargers.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016