Granita

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by sidediva, May 20, 2013.

1. sidediva

sidediva

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hi all...I am having a gathering on the 4th of july. Want to make watermelon granita. I have a basic recipe, however would like to add alcohol, any tips on the type of alcohol, and just in general your suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

2. bughut

bughut

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    It would have to be vodka i reckon. i've heard of folk actually injecting copious amounts into the watermelon then i think its chilled and after that i dont know how its eaten...or drunk...I'll try googling it.

Welcome to the forum btw sidediva

3. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    TEQUILA!

4. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    TO KILL YA!!

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/drinkbeer.gif

I would have tried Vodka first. 

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  5. chicagoterry

chicagoterry

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I often put a small amount of vodka into fruit ice creams that I don't want to freeze rock hard or to form ice crystals. I'm talking a tablespoon or two to a quart and a half of ice cream. I would think adding enough vodka or tequila to notice to a granita would affect how quickly and how well it freezes. You might end up with slush rather than granita.  It will be a sacrifice, I know, but you should probably experiment before you attempt to serve it.

6. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    lemoncello might be a nice addition

joey

7. sidediva

sidediva

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hey there, do u think it will freeze well enough with the alcohol. I made a granita with a wine mixture before and it worked great.

8. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    It will just take a little longer with spirits than it does with wine but it should freeze fine....granita is not suppose to be a hard freeze like ice cream ...more like a snow cone....i made a mixed melon granita with absolut currant last year which turned out great...just plan ahead and resist the urge to add too much booze...btw wine freezes...haven't you ever accidentally left a bottle in the freezer that you were trying to chill down too fast and forgot about? I hate when that happens!!!!!

joey

9. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    Prosecco. Serve the Granita in Martini glasses, and garnish with fresh blueberries, if you like.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  10. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Summer fun:

Vodka infused watermelon. To make sure your  seedless watermelon does not move, wrap a towel around base first, then proceed to cut hole. When done, best served cold.