Granita

Joined Feb 11, 2018
Hi,
In work we make a Gin and tonic granita. Here's the recipe...

200ml water
400g caster sugar
300ml gin
1litre tonic water
Juice of 4 lemons

It tastes great, but after a couple of days it sets rock hard in the freezer. Can the recipe be tweeked somehow to keep it a perfect consistency for service?

Thanks

Joined May 5, 2010
It's the sugar that's causing the problem, and also the fact that alcohol has a lower freezing temp.
Play with the sugar ratio.

Joined Aug 15, 2003
I'm confused, don't you want a granita to freeze hard so it can be scraped into ice?

More sugar will make a "softer" base. Think like a sorbet you can easily scoop. Alcohol also has a lower freezing temp than water, so a touch of alcohol can help "soften" the base as well.

if you are scraping and then the scraped portion is re-freezing into a block, that probably has more to do with the freezer itself and if it is cycling on and off or defrost or something like that. It might be melting slightly and then fusing back together as it re-freezes.

Joined May 5, 2010
I'm confused, don't you want a granita to freeze hard so it can be scraped into ice?

More sugar will make a "softer" base. Think like a sorbet you can easily scoop. Alcohol also has a lower freezing temp than water, so a touch of alcohol can help "soften" the base as well.

if you are scraping and then the scraped portion is re-freezing into a block, that probably has more to do with the freezer itself and if it is cycling on and off or defrost or something like that. It might be melting slightly and then fusing back together as it re-freezes.

You are correct, but not enough sugar can make the Granita hard as well.
I run a fork across the surface of the mixture while in the freezer every half hour while it is setting to make the consistency easier to work with.

Top Bottom