Grammar Police

Joined Sep 21, 2001
...my in-laws from New Jersey call it 'wooder'.
The first time I met my in-laws they had just gone to the Wooder Park. They loved the wooder. But the wooder at our house tasted funny and they had to buy bottled wooder.
I really really love my spouse and held it together not to burst out laughing every time I heard the word 'water'.

Joined May 5, 2010
Warsh as in "wash" the car is very common in certain accents depending on where you live.
How about Bootcher for butcher and Cah for car...?

Joined Jan 9, 2019
Oh! I knew I shouldn't have read this thread when I saw the title. I could be here replying for months.

The one that sticks is my mind was when I was at catering college (ages ago) and one of the students asked the lecturer, "How do you spell 'bowl'?" (Huh?)

She replied, "B-O-W-E-L".

I was shaking my head in disbelief. Didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Of course it didn't go down too well when I corrected her error. It's childish, but in my household we still sometimes refer to bowls as bowels.

A more modern irritation is this new(?) tendency to add superfluous words to verbs. In ye olden days we'd reduce something. Now it always seems to be reduce down. I mean, how can you reduce something up? It's just reduce isn't it?

Top Bottom