Grammar Police

Joined May 25, 2015
I agree with that and about a million other misuses of words in the English language.

Joined Feb 8, 2009
I called down to my night shift cook asking her to make some Jello. She called me back an hour later asking me " What is Jello". I told her it was the packages on the shelf near the grill. She called me back laughing saying "OH Yellow" why didn't you say so.......You think I would be worried about the difference between marinate and marinade.

Joined Mar 1, 2017
Now that Im retired, I should write a book about all the creative grammar I've heard flung around my kitchen like monkey poo.

Funner
Anyways
Orientate
Irregardless
Prolly
Ginormous
Conversate
Drug (as in past tense of "drag")
Quicklier (my fav)
Strategery
Brung/brang
Axed (I really had to work hard not to fix this one with a 12 inch cast iron skillet)
Expresso
Inflammable

There are more but, I can only stand remembering them for a few minutes at a time before I get a migraine. lol!

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
I grew up the son of an English teacher. I cringe when I read resumes. Sorry, but auto correct doesn't catch everything! It's even worse when I'm on internet and even on here. Poor grammar is poor grammar no matter the forum. And don't get me started about grammar when people talk. Up here, in Wisconsin, people often use the word "seen" when they should use the word, "saw." It is like fingernails on a chalkboard. Or when someone pronounces the "L" in salmon.

Joined Oct 9, 2008
I agree with you, @pete . I used to teach college writing, among other things, and before that I remember that my parents were terribly strict about "fewer/less", "hopefully," and so on. So much spoken and written discourse now I find dreadful!

For me, the big ones tend to be bits of business-speak that drift into the real world:
  • Impact/ed (=affect/ed)
  • Concerning (=worrying)
  • To contact a person
... and so on.

Joined Oct 9, 2008
It's a tangential issue, but I for one find it very annoying that a lot of cooks -- pros and amateurs -- call breaking down a chicken "deboning." Deboning means removing the bones!

Top Bottom