Chef Forum banner

Grammar Police

21K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  NotDelia 
#1 ·
I will go to my deathbed firmly believing "marinate" is a verb and "marinade" is a noun.

mjb.

#5 ·
I called down to my night shift cook asking her to make some Jello. She called me back an hour later asking me " What is Jello". I told her it was the packages on the shelf near the grill. She called me back laughing saying "OH Yellow" why didn't you say so.......You think I would be worried about the difference between marinate and marinade.

#7 ·
Now that Im retired, I should write a book about all the creative grammar I've heard flung around my kitchen like monkey poo.

Funner
Anyways
Orientate
Irregardless
Prolly
Ginormous
Conversate
Drug (as in past tense of "drag")
Quicklier (my fav)
Strategery
Brung/brang
Axed (I really had to work hard not to fix this one with a 12 inch cast iron skillet)
Expresso
Inflammable

There are more but, I can only stand remembering them for a few minutes at a time before I get a migraine. lol!

#9 ·
#14 ·
I grew up the son of an English teacher. I cringe when I read resumes. Sorry, but auto correct doesn't catch everything! It's even worse when I'm on internet and even on here. Poor grammar is poor grammar no matter the forum. And don't get me started about grammar when people talk. Up here, in Wisconsin, people often use the word "seen" when they should use the word, "saw." It is like fingernails on a chalkboard. Or when someone pronounces the "L" in salmon.

#15 ·
I agree with you, @pete . I used to teach college writing, among other things, and before that I remember that my parents were terribly strict about "fewer/less", "hopefully," and so on. So much spoken and written discourse now I find dreadful!

For me, the big ones tend to be bits of business-speak that drift into the real world:
  • Impact/ed (=affect/ed)
  • Concerning (=worrying)
  • To contact a person
... and so on.

#22 ·
...my in-laws from New Jersey call it 'wooder'.
The first time I met my in-laws they had just gone to the Wooder Park. They loved the wooder. But the wooder at our house tasted funny and they had to buy bottled wooder.
I really really love my spouse and held it together not to burst out laughing every time I heard the word 'water'.

#24 ·
Oh! I knew I shouldn't have read this thread when I saw the title. I could be here replying for months.

The one that sticks is my mind was when I was at catering college (ages ago) and one of the students asked the lecturer, "How do you spell 'bowl'?" (Huh?)

She replied, "B-O-W-E-L".

I was shaking my head in disbelief. Didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Of course it didn't go down too well when I corrected her error. It's childish, but in my household we still sometimes refer to bowls as bowels.

A more modern irritation is this new(?) tendency to add superfluous words to verbs. In ye olden days we'd reduce something. Now it always seems to be reduce down. I mean, how can you reduce something up? It's just reduce isn't it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.