Graduating with a Bachelor's

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by cheftux, Oct 13, 2011.

1. cheftux

cheftux

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Sorry for the double post on this one, original post is in Culinary Student then realised this forum might be more appropriate

So here I am, 4 year degree in Culinary Arts & Food Service Management. I've worked in the industry (the real one not the chain restaurant version) for almost 5 years now. I have literally just come from my school's Career Fair where there are companies ranging from Darden to Hyatt Hotels to assorted resorts and cruise lines.

Does anyone have suggestions for a good next step? I spent ten minutes talking to a company and at the end of it they said that I was a good candidate for a line cook position. They spoke of the fact that they hire from within, which I both understand and respect, but making $10 an hour after graduating just doesn't sound like the right path for me.

At the same time the idea of working for a company like Darden where I'd be managing a Olive Garden, Red Lobster, or one of their other properties just goes against everything I've come to love about cooking. Is there a happy medium, some sort of job where I can have a decent career but still be extremely involved with cooking.

More than willing to listen to the advice of seasoned vets or anyone who is in the same situation as myself. 

Thanks, :tux p.s. I'm currently a Sous Chef for my catering company, I've paid my dues as a grunt at various restaurants and while I know sometimes you just need a job, I'd like to move forward not backwards.

2. greenguy

greenguy

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Possibly look into Hillstone Restaurant Group.  They have mostly fine dining restaurants, maybe not michelin star quality, but definitely better than Darden.  The have both kitchen managers and executive chef positions.  I don't know a whole lot about them, but I was considering getting a job there after graduation.  From what I've seen and heard, they have good training and pay very nicely.