Good&cheap japanese knife...

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by mrshapiro, Feb 5, 2014.

1. mrshapiro

mrshapiro

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Hey guys...

i want to add to my set another chefs knife...want to get something cheap about 50-60$ max but with good edge that will last long...

Was looking at the tojiro's...

any other ideas?

2. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif    /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif    /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif   I feel your pain Benuser

3. galley swiller

galley swiller

Exp:
    At home cook
    If the OP is looking for something maxing out at $60, then I think the OP will be looking for quite a while, if not an indefinitely long search.

Tojiro DP knives might have been at a $50 to $60 price when Chad Ward's book An Edge In The Kitchen  was published in 2008, but that was over 5 years ago - and exchange rates, production costs, etc., etc., have marched the price of the Tojiro DP 210 mm gyuto to $80, if not more.

A little bit of personal research by the OP on the various posts in ChefTalk, and of the current prices of the mentioned cutlery, as well as a bit of clarification of the intended style of cooking (what types of foods will the OP be cutting up, etc, etc) by the OP would make the query more realistic.

Galley Swiller

4. mrshapiro

mrshapiro

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    You are right..

but i feel when i sharp my vg-10 that i dont get the sharpness where i want it...its like not razor sharp as it was when i bought it...

When im at work and i need to cut lots of veggies its hard when its not razor sharp